classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
62 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lighting

Machspeed
Administrator
All this makes sense to me now after reading your posts and watching the below linked video. Thanks, gentlemen. BTW, this is horrible! We have a lighting thread that has gone to a relay mod thread, back to lighting and then back to relay mod again. My bad!!! Gary, you can finish it off when you get your tombstones such that it is lighting again...lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBQ54_EFfM 
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We went from shop lighting to something about the lighting of your truck, that you would do IN your shop.

These detours happen here in the Garagemahal!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is all lighting, so what's the problem?  

On the video, I don't recommend doing it quite that way.  I don't think it is safe to come off the battery with un-fused wires.  Instead I put an auto-reset circuit breaker by the battery and then come off of it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
It is all lighting, so what's the problem?  
You're the boss, Gary......

Can you give me specifics on your auto-reset circuit breaker....amperage, etc? Also, why auto reset and not manual? That's some pretty thick wire you have coming off of it too. What gauge is that? Do you see a problem with me utilizing one of these kits with that auto reset circuit breaker?
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Stretch....lol!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I'm not Gary, but the breaker should be rated to protect the harness attached to it.
i.e. a 15A breaker for 16G wire
20 for 14
30 for 10-12

Auto reset means as soon as you clear the short your lights come back on.
No playing with a button or looking for a fuse.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  I missed that question.

Yes, auto-reset is what most automobile manufacturers use on headlights as you do not want to be fumbling in the dark to manually reset one.

Here's one I've used before:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't presume to speak for you, Gary.
But I do understand the what and why, having wired up my little PCM.
And now that I'm reminded.. I'm going to dig around in the clutter at the bottom of my "harness" tote and find two.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can speak for me any time, Jim.  I'd be right more often that way.  

Find "two" what?  Breakers to see if they'll fit in the PCM?  I looked at mine yesterday, and the factory breaker that I have in my PDB for the headlights fits in a maxifuse slot.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not my place, and that's why I qualified it in my reply.

Yes, I'm going to dig for two 15A resetting breakers.
I'm pretty sure they're in there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Mark, are you using the 3,500 lumen fixtures, or the 5,000 lumen fixtures with the pull chain?

Either way I'm surprised at the value of these things.
If I wasn't so skint I would have dismissed them as cheap garbage and never given them a chance.
 They have pull chains on them. Most likely the 5,000 lumen fixtures. I'm in Louisiana at the moment. Heading home tomorrow. I'll take a look at them. On an even brighter note, the new aluminum radiator arrived! It's a happy new part day
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
MarkF100 wrote
On an even brighter note, the new aluminum radiator arrived! It's a happy new part day
See, even that fits in "Lighting".  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It is lighter, but it also transfers heat better than brass.

If it were me I would want to black anodize it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How would you do that, Jim?  What chemicals would you use?  I ask selfishly 'cause the engine oil cooler on Big Blue is easily seen through the grille and I'd wondered about painting it black but then remembered that would reduce the heat transfer.  But I don't think anodizing would, or at least not much.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Anodizing is a process where you either use a caustic or electrochemical process to open the 'pores' of the aluminum.
Then you dye it and passivate it to seal it in.

First, you need to know what alloy.
Some work great, some hardly at all.

Dyes are fugitive.
Some (like red) more than others.
But I would expect black to last a while.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There may also be some processes similar to cold bluing steel, but I can't say for sure.

That would be a lot simpler, and less messy.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A bit of reading says that anodizing requires the part to be VERY clean.  My oil cooler isn't.

Also, lots of things I've read say that a thin coat of high temp black spray paint, like for a BBQ grill, actually helps transfer heat.  So I think that's the way I'll go as it'll be easy and doesn't require the cooler to be as clean.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
What the hey.....you guys are trashing my thread....anodizing now.....holy smokes!!!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Machspeed wrote
What the hey.....you guys are trashing my thread....anodizing now.....holy smokes!!!
Guilty!  

But that's easily fixed.  Let's see, the radiator goes where?  The anodizing idea could go with it or to Big Blue's thread as I'm gonna paint the oil cooler.  What else?