Let’s just say!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Let’s just say!

WrenchingtheWretched
Let’s just say a guy had an issue with the proportioning valve and he wanted to delete it from the system because the vehicle in question never really left his property? How would they go about it
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Let’s just say!

Rembrant
WrenchingtheWretched wrote
Let’s just say a guy had an issue with the proportioning valve and he wanted to delete it from the system because the vehicle in question never really left his property? How would they go about it
I deleted that proportioning valve from two different trucks, but I was also running 1987-1996 master cylinders...if it makes any difference. The later master cylinder do have residual pressure valves for the back brakes....I'm just not sure how much difference they make or if they matter at all in this situation.

If its just a farm truck, I wouldn't worry about removing it. Others on here may disagree though.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
It is a farm truck but even around the property it’s just dragging the rear tires. I do drive it MAYBE 5-8miles to the feed store. I just want it to behave better when braking. I drive it like an old man just trying to be respectful of this 41 year old truck since I would like to have it around for many years!
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
I wonder if I could just pull the “guts” out of the current valve and reinstall it. I understand I’ll be losing the emergency braking properties if the valve but I’d rather have all 4 skidding than just the rear two in the event I needed them.
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have the proportioning valve I pulled off Darth, I ran across it the other day looking for something else. I have no use for it as I have redone the brakes to 1996 specs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by WrenchingtheWretched
I would not want to "pull the guts out" of the brake pressure differential valve given the things it is intended to do.  The 1980 FSM says:

"The pressure, differential, proportioning and metering valve are three different systems.  (Figs. 4 and 5).  There are three functions of the pressure differential valve: It delays full effectiveness of the front brake, it proportions pressure to the rear system, and it operates a warning system in case of malfunction.  During heavy brake application, the proportioning valve reduces pressure to the rear brakes to avoid lock-up.  The metering valve delays effectiveness of the front disc brake until the rear brake shoes are against the drum."

But there's really not very much to the valve, so you might be able to clean it if the shuttle is stuck to one end.  Here's an illustration of it:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I dont see why you could not remove it and do front to front and rear to rear like was said/

As for giving you a warning there is an issue with the system I know when the pedal goes to the floor, and it will way before the light comes on, is enough warning for me there is a problem.
That is why they call it an idiot light!

As for sealing 1 side of the system from the other the proportioning valve dose not do that it is the way it is plumbed.

If you are worried about the proportioning valve part they make adjustable ones you can install.
They use them all the time in racing and can and have been used on the street.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
So with all that out of the way………it’s either new brake lines front to rear for a 87+ master cylinder or try sourcing/service my current (which from what I’ve gathered isn’t the best solution) why do I need to change the lines could I not just adapt the threads to the newer 87+ MC? Not trying to ruffle feathers and upset anyone I’m just a dude who wants a truck that is driven 5miles tops twice a month on 35mph roads to stop better just short of replacing the entire braking system.
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
I just found a valve on Amazon of all places that looks like it will bolt right in I’m gonna give it a shot and see where this take me I’ll report back once all the work is done etc. cheers, thanks friends.
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I think we are both wasting our time. His mind is apparently made up and he's going to do it his way.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
Let’s clear the smoke here. I know VERY little about these ford trucks. the information I’ve been given from this thread has been so sporadic , argumentative and contradictory between each poster that I’m slightly confused. I just want the truck for work nothing more. I think everyone got a little too emotionally involved. I appreciate the information I got from this but. I don’t believe this forum is for me. So don’t ban yourself. I’ll just see my way to the door. Thanks.
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I'm sorry you didn't catch my drift when I said I had the one I removed from Darth when I upgraded my brakes to newer specs. It is available for the cost of mailing it to you (probably a small flat rate box).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

WrenchingtheWretched
Can you message me directly?
“Big Yella”
1982 F350 Dually
400ci 6.6l
NP435 4 speed trans
Sawmill lumber flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I tried and it didn't seem to go through. you can email me at w a v o s e at g m a i l dot c o m (remove spaces and insert symbols @ and .)
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile