Learn me something . . .

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Learn me something . . .

PetesPonies
I do restoration work full time now. Mainly Mustangs, but I will do others things as well. So . . when I get something new, I'm looking for metal work that needs to be done. My "new" 1982 is not going to be a play truck, Saturday night cruiser . I'm going to drive it. I have other vehicles that fit play toy that description. I have a Bullnose Bronco I'm modifying for fun, but this is my first Bullnose PU. I see the back of my cab looking like a 10 year old pop riveted a piece of metal at the rear cab corner. I crawl under, see no rust and even see a nicely trimmed radius, looks OEM, behind the added metal. I'm scratching my head and then find a pic of a Bullnose cab with the same garbage piece of metal on the cab rear. Hmmm .  so this piece of garbage is factory? Was it added to the Flareside cabs for some reason? To cover an opening that wouldn't be seen with a styleside bed? If so .  couldn't Ford have done better with this? Yuk!!. Or is it just chance someone had the same 10 year old work on their cab? ( this pictured cab is something I found online, not my truck )

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Learn me something . . .

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've had several of these trucks apart and haven't seen that patch on any of them.  But, all of the ones I've taken apart were Stylesides.  So, maybe it was on Flaresides?

Dave/Fuzzface2?  Have you seen that?

There should be at least one Flareside at the show on Saturday, Cash's Carlos, so I'll check it out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, looks the same.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
You nailed it. That is a flareside cab extension to cover the hole in front of the step. It is factory. I pulled a flareside bed at the junkyard and grabbed those plates to go with it. They may be a janky solution but the cab looks really odd without them.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
They're worse than janky  :(  Damn , the bean counter at Ford must have had something on someone to get that passed. Its horrid. I work all day to not have a body look like that ( well maybe not all day  :) If I ever pull the bed, they will get welded  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco