classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leaky AC Condenser

Machspeed
Administrator
Found that my AC condenser was leaking the other day at the attachment joint pictured below. Thought it might simply be that it was loose, but it was not. Last Summer I had the whole AC torn apart and replaced much of it except the condenser and compressor. After assembly, left it on a vacuum for two days and it held. Blew nice cold air too! I'm wondering if something is wrong at that fitting. Reason I say this is that when I took it apart last Summer, I noted that it had been leaking in the exact same spot. From the day I purchased it, I had to add a can of refrigerant every Summer and I suspect this is where it was leaking.

I'm going to mess with it some but will likely need to replace it. Last Summer when I looked, these were not available and those that were didn't fit right. Wondering if anything has changed?        
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leaky AC Condenser

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  But leaky A/C seems to be a thing right now as BB's compressor won't engage w/o jumpering the switch.

Anyway, hope you figure out what the problem is - easily.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I made it three with my leaky compressor. Already fixed though (knock on wood!)

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I got to check my system as I cleaned the dye off everything so I hope to find the leak now fix it and charge it again.

As for your leak I would see if a new O-ring would fix it as that is what most of them need at connections.

Oh no the condenser has not changed on the replacement but is it not that big a deal to get the new one in.
Get some longer bolts for the bottom and lower grille / latch brace and think 3 1/2" long pipe that will fit over the bolts. The pipe is used as spacers to space out the bottom of the condenser & brace.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
As for your leak I would see if a new O-ring would fix it as that is what most of them need at connections.

Oh no the condenser has not changed on the replacement but is it not that big a deal to get the new one in.
Get some longer bolts for the bottom and lower grille / latch brace and think 3 1/2" long pipe that will fit over the bolts. The pipe is used as spacers to space out the bottom of the condenser & brace.
Dave ----
Thanks Dave. Yes, I'll be checking the connector for the O-ring but I just fear the joint is compromised, as it leaked there previously. I put a new O-ring in last Summer too.

Regarding the new condenser, would you have a link where one of these was installed? I'm not following the pipe thing and I like pictures....lol! Been surfing and not finding anything.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Machspeed wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote

Dave ----
Thanks Dave. Yes, I'll be checking the connector for the O-ring but I just fear the joint is compromised, as it leaked there previously. I put a new O-ring in last Summer too.

Regarding the new condenser, would you have a link where one of these was installed? I'm not following the pipe thing and I like pictures....lol! Been surfing and not finding anything.
Lets see what we can do for pictures
Here it is installed

If you look closely you can just make out the pipe between the lower condenser brackets (far laft & right) and the center grille / latch bracket (center) and the lower radiator support.

The condenser only has to be spaced out for the condenser tubes on the ends at the bottom to clear the support.
The center support then needs to be spaced out to clear the condenser.
Nothing has to be done up top, its a bolt in.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thank you, Dave. That explains a lot. Very much appreciate it!
John