Leak source

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leak source

PossumTruck
Finally found the remaining leak(s?) in my truck. Replaced the rusted floor areas but I need to fix this before I put down sound deadener and reinstall the vinyl flooring.

Any Ideas on the source of these/this leak?  I have had the cowl off and sealed the seams in this area after installing one of those firewall/clutch plates. Perhaps I missed a spot? I really only wonder about this because this area is bumped out/in and so it doesn't seem like the cowl is necessarily the origin. Windshield?

Any suggestions appreciated.
86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leak source

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that could be the windshield leaking.  The butyl they used tends to crack and leak.  You could use a garden hose to see if you can pin point it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
All of my. Bullnose trucks have leaked around the windshield. I was put on to a product by Gary:

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/windshield-repair-kit/p/permatex-windshield-glass-sealant-1-5oz/552992_0_0?spps.s=4121&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10574827360&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDJf-CzWzwVWr3C0HCIvUg1eHxZJpmBcmYQT2Er44sP92KJA1mh2c-hoCZfwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Worked for me..
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup, that's what I was going to recommend if that's where it leaks.  It flows in like honey and then sets up.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
first of all, are you just trying to fix it to restore at a later date or are you doing  that now?  is there any chance that you plan a new windshield in the near future? that might make the decision a little easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Blue_Whale
I had an odd leak - it turned out it was coming in through my passenger window gutter, then flowing down the pillar, and would occasionally show as a drip under the glove box.  If all else fails, maybe something else to check.
1985 F-250 XLT Lariat
2-WD 6.9 IDI
132,000 Miles
Automatic