Larger radiator in 1984 302 ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Larger radiator in 1984 302 ?

Will55
Got a great 84 Bronco a couple of years ago - only issue is overheating on highway.  Tried cleaning/flushing system, but no improvement.  Radiator looks like full of junk in the bottom.  It also has a non-stock cam which was put in by previous owner.

It looks like it can take a radiator which is 5" wider for models which came through with AC, so I was considering moving to larger radiator when replacing the original.

The mount looks good, but it would also mean a different shroud, transmission cooler lines, and a different lower hose.  

Two questions: anyone else make this swap before?  & any sources for the other parts which would need to be swapped out?

Thanks.

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Larger radiator in 1984 302 ?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Glad you joined.  

But you probably missed the email I sent you asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself by starting a new thread in that folder.

Don't worry, half the people miss that email since our joining process is broken.  But please assure me you've at least read the guidelines?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Will55
Do you happen to have an old scholl radiator shop local to you?  They might be able to clean that out?

I have no idea what they put in mine - it was previous owner.  It's a wide radiator and looks like aluminum.   Temp stays pretty low, but I think the needle is bent too far to the cold side to start with.   I thought I might have a photo but I don't.  And let's just say there are a lot of zip ties and a few mods to the shroud.  But seems to be working.  At least if the needle is even close to working.   I need to get a IR thermometer to check temps.  

Here is the corner of the setup.  I have no idea what OEM looked like - if this is close or not.  Looks like it does have trans cooler plugs.

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
The 84 radiator uses those little bumpers to mount the radiator to the support. It changed in 85. You can buy the bumpers at Dennis Carpenter if you need them. All the hoses are at Rock Auto.

I just bought a new radiator for my 84 and haven't put it in yet. I'll install it this month after I get the engine in. I bought this Champion:
https://www.championradiators.com/Ford-F-series-truck-radiator-1980-1984

Seemed like the best you could get for a reasonable price.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I also have my stock 84 radiator waiting to go to recycling. I was not having any overheating issues with mine and I was running a 351W with AC. If you want it, you can have it.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Try flushing the radaitor with a hose&nozzle off the vehicle? While I had my 300 out for a rebuilt, I backwashed mine and all sorts of trash and junk came out. .

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).