LMC premium wood steering wheel installed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LMC premium wood steering wheel installed

Tyler
Here's a review of my LMC steering wheel installation.  You will get the installation kit which is from Grant, the wheel (which is not Grant in my case) and a horn kit (which you have to order separately and also comes with some installation parts that are duplicated with the wheel kit itself).

First part is to install the Grant adapter which gives you leads for your horn.  The solder was too large on the one I received and caused sparking during the first operational test.  I disassembled and took a dremel sanding wheel to the solder to fix.  Also, it is very important to ensure you align the "TOP" mark on this adapter with the center/top of your steering shaft.  Mine was stamped with a line that I went over with a sharpie to make it stand out.  "TOP" is printed lightly on the reverse side than shown.

Then, it is pretty easy to get to this point.  You install a cup from the Grant kit which covers the above adapter and then the LMC wheel base.  The base gets secured with your stock wheel nut and then 3 (11mm) bolts from the LMC kit.  There are a different set in the Grant kit with a shoulder that I did not use.  I didn't have to hacksaw off the end of my steering shaft thanks to not using a Grant wheel.  Notice, the Grant leads do not fit on the LMC wheel horn kit...so a little work was required to connect the included leads from the LMC wheel kit.

Now for the tricky part.  Some dexterity is required to hold the wheel and horn while you attach the leads to the horn connections.  There is a drawing in the horn kit which shows which one is the ground, but I don't think it matters just to complete the circuit.  A 4mm hex key on an extension got the job done.  Be sure to tuck the wires away and don't pinch them when you tighten down the wheel.

These are the various parts that I didn't end up using after combining it all together:

Finally, tighten all the hex screws down in a cross-torque pattern like lugnuts and don't scratch the powdercoat!  Enjoy!
One constructive criticism comment:  The wheel is a smaller diameter than stock which I didn't foresee as a problem since I have power steering.  However, it blocks my view of the speedometer for the most common speeds I drive here on local roads.  Highway speeds (65+) are still visible.  This will take some getting used to...

1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Gear Vendors overdrive unit on order.

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LMC premium wood steering wheel installed

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good review, Ty.  Well done.  

But while it looks good, that last comment about the rim blocking the speedo is a killer for me.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
Had I known or realized that it blocked the speedo, I would have looked for a different model.  Everything else is about as perfect as I could have expected.

I did measure the wheel to get an idea of the size difference however, missed the mark on seeing the whole picture.

After the install, a return was not an option for me.  Maybe I can find a larger diameter model from the same company.

1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What is the diameter, and how does that compare to a stock wheel?  Maybe you can get a Grant wheel the same diameter as stock?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
They're 14 inch diameter.  I haven't measured the stock wheel.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by Tyler
I installed the same wheel but with the black rubber in my 86 last year and I did very similar modifications as you. I was also a little disappointing in the diameter blocking the low side of the speedometer but on the bright side I can now see my high beam indicator. It would be better if LMC sold an installation kit that actually fit and didn't require modifications.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
I ordered the same wheel direct from the manufacturer Forever Sharp on the recent Black Friday sale.  I bought their hub adapter, so I am curious to see if it needs any mods compared to the Grant kit.  I am no where near ready to install but I could pull it out to check as future reference for other members.
Thanks for the heads up about the speedo.  
Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks for documenting it for others

View issues aside, it looks really good.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio