LMC Now has replacement front door wiring conduit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LMC Now has replacement front door wiring conduit

Rembrant
I've had the new LMC catalog for a few weeks now, and I somehow didn't see this until tonight.

I already have some aftermarket rubber boots that I bought, and I have another set from a Bricknose that I scavenged from the Junkyard, but for the price of these I may grab a set next time I'm ordering stuff.

I took a look at my cab and doors, and they each have a little dimple...almost like pilot holes or locating holes, where you would drill the larger holes for the conduit.

For those of you with "fancy" trucks with factory radios, does the conduit connect higher up on the cab almost level with the park brake release handle, and then lower on the door, about 2" above where the door switch hits the door? Does that sound about right?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LMC Now has replacement front door wiring conduit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see if I can sneak out to the shop for a bit tomorrow and check things out on Big Blue.  (We are home from two weeks of vacating and playing catchup.  But, the grandtwins come for one final visit tomorrow before going back to Nicaragua, so no promises.)

But, it is good to see that LMC is now carrying those.  I've been hoarding some for Dad's truck, but might have to spring for new ones.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Let's see how the quality is and whether they seal well.

My F150 was a no-radio truck and I drilled the holes in both the cab and the doors for the boots. It wasn't fun, but I remember the pilot holes were there so drilling them wasn't too complicated.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Did you use a uni-bit, Shaun?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Let's see how the quality is and whether they seal well.

My F150 was a no-radio truck and I drilled the holes in both the cab and the doors for the boots. It wasn't fun, but I remember the pilot holes were there so drilling them wasn't too complicated.
Thanks for the info. So you drilled the pilot holes and then used factory rubber conduits like pictured above?

The reason I'm checking into this is that I hope to be sending the truck for paint soon, and both front fenders and the driver's door will be replaced, so it will be an opportune time to install these (and the door speakers of course).

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yes, the dimples are the hole centers.  I use a common metal-cutting hole saw.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Steve83 wrote
Yes, the dimples are the hole centers.  I use a common metal-cutting hole saw.
I did the same. Factory conduit was used.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hole saws are grabby.

Try a unibit, no burrs and no catching

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Now how about rear ones for those of us with the country stretch limousine models?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
85lebaront2 wrote
Now how about rear ones...?
How about them?  Is there some reason you can't use the same boots & locations as the fronts?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I'll have to look, I don't believe the bullnose ever had rear power doors. I used a pair of 1996 rear doors on Darth. My owner's manual and EVTM do not show anything except manual rear doors in 1986.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
OK  I still don't understand what you were asking. Are you trying to make the rear doors power?  Or are you trying to wire up power rear doors to a truck that didn't originally have them?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Just looking down the road at needing to replace them at some point. Rear doors are power, came off a loaded 1996 F350 Centaurus conversion.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
IDK why they'd need to be replaced - all the '87-97 door wiring boots I have are in perfect condition; no degradation at all.  But if you do need some, they're common & cheap in JYs.  Just pay attention to the hole size in the doors - later trucks (maybe '94-97) have a larger hole & boot than earlier ones.  IDK if that applies to rear doors.

I've never heard of Centaurus - do you mean Centurion?  That's the company that made most of the 4-door Broncos, and some extended-cab 4-door F350s, among others.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Anybody know off hand what size the conduit hole in the cab is?
I have a stepper bit but if I need a hole saw I’ll pick one up this week.

Also. I have a conduit set that I pulled from the junkyard and I’m pretty sure the truck was 1991 f350. Will these be the same size as the bullnose conduits?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, my bricknose cab is a 90 and the conduits are the same as what came with my old 86 cab, along with my 1980.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Do they look like these ones below? I removed these from a truck at the junkyard, but I don't recall what year it was. I thought it was a 1991, but it may have been newer.

The holes are huge...2" on the cab side, and 2 1/2" on the door side.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - Those look much bigger than the Bullnose ones.  I'll see if any of the doors I have already have the holes in them.  But that won't be until later today.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Just checked mine, and the cab is 2" and the doors are 2.5", both my bullnose and bricknose doors are the same size. Also, those conduits have to be from a bullnose because my bricknose connectors are just the two pin style.

Also, my truck was originally mono speaker, so there were no door speakers in the truck. But I just noticed that the doors already have the holes drilled, and they have a plug to keep moisture out. Were all the non/Mono radio trucks like this? I can't recall whether I had to drill the doors on my 80 but I feel like I did?