Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LED Headlight Review

Rusty_S85
FuzzFace2 wrote
Machspeed wrote
Gsmblue wrote
Great video. I am happy with my halogen upgrade though.
Curious, what route did you go in the halogens?
I had to replace a head light bulb on my truck and being they should be replaced in pairs I did so.
I went from Wagner's halogen sealed bulbs to Sylvania halogen sealed bulbs.
The Wagner's were a whiter light and the beam was a little more centered and farther down the road than the Sylvania's.
I also ran relays with both sets of lights so apples to apples.

I have used a name brand high end light with the bulb in from the back side in my 86 Blazer and on low beam could not tell they were on most of the time. high beam they were better than the factory sealed beams, cant remember now if the factory were halogens or not?
I will not go with that type of bulb again if I can help it.
Dave ----
Have you tried the Silver Star Ultras?

Thats what I have in my composite housings they are great bulbs they emit a clear clean light and they have a shortened life span due to being pushed to the limits but I think its a fair trade off for improved bulbs.

You can buy them in sealed beam bulbs as well, I have them on my El Camino and they are nice bulbs compared to the standard bulbs.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Rusty_S85 wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
Machspeed wrote
Gsmblue wrote
I had to replace a head light bulb on my truck and being they should be replaced in pairs I did so.
The Wagner's were a whiter light and the beam was a little more centered and farther down the road than the Sylvania's.

I have used a name brand high end light with the bulb in from the back side in my 86 Blazer and on low beam could not tell they were on most of the time. high beam they were better than the factory sealed beams, cant remember now if the factory were halogens or not?
Dave ----

Thats what I have in my composite housings they are great bulbs they emit a clear clean light and they have a shortened life span due to being pushed to the limits but I think its a fair trade off for improved bulbs.

You can buy them in sealed beam bulbs as well, I have them on my El Camino and they are nice bulbs compared to the standard bulbs.
Those are the lights I am seriously considering.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Headlight-Performance-Replacement/dp/B000AMXSUM/ref=pd_di_sccai_5?pd_rd_w=N5bJk&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=72C4ZS7PTM4PZKVDMA57&pd_rd_r=055616f7-34ee-436c-9d34-a66cd673aea7&pd_rd_wg=WmT4Q&pd_rd_i=B000AMXSUM&psc=1

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Machspeed wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
Machspeed wrote
Gsmblue wrote

Dave ----

Those are the lights I am seriously considering.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Headlight-Performance-Replacement/dp/B000AMXSUM/ref=pd_di_sccai_5?pd_rd_w=N5bJk&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=72C4ZS7PTM4PZKVDMA57&pd_rd_r=055616f7-34ee-436c-9d34-a66cd673aea7&pd_rd_wg=WmT4Q&pd_rd_i=B000AMXSUM&psc=1
I love them.

This isnt thier sealed beam this is their H4 silver star ultra bulb in my ECE composite housings from Hella before they hazed up like the first set.

Low beam without auxiliary driving lights

High beam without auxiliary driving lights

I personally like them, I love them in the ECE housings they just dont throw light up to illuminate hanging street signs im sure a DOT housing would but the ECE is designed to put as much light on the road as possible which I think is more benefical than throwing it up in the air.  Plus I got my Apollo 6" driving lights that will illuminate over head signs when my highbeams are on.

Also proper alignment is key, I have my housings aligned to place the hotspot directly in front of each bulb at 25ft away on low beam.  I also set the heigth for the proper drop for the heigth of my bulbs from the ground I think it was something like a 2 1/2" drop at 25ft.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Ahhh, misunderstood. Definitely put out the light. How much for the combined package....housings and bulbs?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Machspeed wrote
Ahhh, misunderstood. Definitely put out the light. How much for the combined package....housings and bulbs?
Oh you understood right, I have a set of the sealed Silverstar Ultras in my El Camino, the bulbs arent hard to change on that car so I just stick with sealed.  Our trucks are another thing where you have to pull the headlight bucket trim to access the retaining screws which is why I went with the composite layout to make bulb changing easier on me.  Little did I know Id be fighting hazing on the housings on the inside glass lol.

But if you buy it at the right time the composite units are $85 - $95 from summit/jegs for a pair.  The H4 silver star ultras are $41 from amazon for a pair.  The plain Silver Stars can be had for $33.

But for $41 I think they are worth it, ive had them for almost 8 years given I dont do all my driving at night time but they seem to last pretty long, The ones on my el camino were put in some 12 years ago I think and they need to be replaced as the chrome reflector has thinned out over the years of use.

If I could find some LED headlights to mimic what I currently have in looks and light performance I would gladly upgrade to LED.  I just get picky when it comes to style and place it above performance in most cases.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Those sealed Silverstars are great as far as output but I didn't have good luck with longevity. Wouldn't mind trying them again after the xtravisions quit unless something better (looks and performance) has come around by then.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
kramttocs wrote
Those sealed Silverstars are great as far as output but I didn't have good luck with longevity. Wouldn't mind trying them again after the xtravisions quit unless something better (looks and performance) has come around by then.
Longevity really depends on how much driving at night you do.  If majority of your time is night time driving then they wont last long but if its around 50/50 split they last long enough where the price is justified.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Rusty_S85 wrote
Longevity really depends on how much driving at night you do.  
So that's how that works
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
kramttocs wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote
Longevity really depends on how much driving at night you do.  
So that's how that works
lol It does with the silverstar ultras they have that thing strung out to the max performance wise which drastically kills its life span compared to their lower level Silver Star bulbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I do like the look of the composites you showed and agree that access from the back is much preferred on these trucks.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am running the Xtra Vision's in my pick up and I do a lot of driving at night.

I also run the Xtra Vision's in my 02 Durango, H4 bulb from the back, and they also don't last too long but I will take changing bulbs over not seeing
The XV do put out more light than the normal non-halogen.

As for the Silver Stars, me being cheap I cant bring myself to pay $26ea for a bulb that has a shorter life than the XV bulbs at $18ea.
Have to see how long the XV last and maybe next time go for the SS's
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

RD65
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I saw these in teh Ford F100 World f/b page. Has anyone heard of these Doug Beam on ebay lights?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174587133657?fbclid=IwAR38xZ8exsN1p-OAiVqDEH0cZPlA5I-Hm2exMUdudqHpBJZUIgH7kO4Nq6U
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I've seen them advertised before.  I think they fall into the "junk" category, without a doubt.

The problem is that they are placing an LED into a housing meant for a halogen bulb.  The two light sources have a completely different geometry and it just will not work properly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI