classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kudos To GatorHyde - Spray In Bedliner

Machspeed
Administrator
I just want to take a minute and praise a local business we have here in Wagoner Oklahoma. The business is called GatorHyde and among many things that they do, one of them is spray in bedliners. These guys are the originators of ALL spray in bedliners and such. They developed the formula and then eventually sold that formula to a large corporate entity that does not come to mind at the moment.

Anyway, about 14-15 years ago, I had my truck repainted and then had them apply a spray in bedliner. Over time it faded and was marred, so I took it back to them for clean-up and a few changes. After discussing what I wanted done, I asked Jerry, the owner, what the cost would be. His response was, "nothing"! Said it was under warranty. "Are you kidding me?" That was my response. Couldn't get him to take anything for it. And, that's not the capper! About three days after I left it, Jerry called me back up and said that when they were prepping the old coating and blowing the bed out with air, part of it lifted. He said that could cause some serious damage back there and as such, the old coating needed to be removed. My cost for that? Nothing! That removal kept my truck there another week and I know it must have been a ton of work. I don't need to tell you that he could have cleaned it up real good and I would never have known. That is service above and beyond in our world today. I cannot say enough good about this company. Here's some photos of my bed, old and new bedliner.

I'm going to go with a more modern bed bolt, 90's model Ranger that has a torx head and is secured with a nutplate, provided the nutplate will fit across my frame appropriately. See photo below. I'm going to have them chromed, however don't like the visible torx insertion at the top of the bolt that could hold water. Gary and I spoke about this recently and he seemed to think that there might be an insert that could be pushed into the head of the bolt such that water could not get in it. Wondering if anyone has seen such a thing?

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kudos To GatorHyde - Spray In Bedliner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is above and beyond, John!  Wonderful customer service!  

On the fillers, I'll see what I can find in a bit...
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's unbelievable. Don't hear of service like that much anymore.

How will the chrome hold up to the torx bit when installing them?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Well done!

What if you filled the bolt heads with clear silicone, and just wiped it off flush with the tops?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
^x2 what Cory said. That’s the first thing that popped into my head.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I was thinking about these Torx screw caps at Amazon.  And here are a couple of pics I snagged from this website, although they are in the UK so shipping would probably be expensive:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Well done!

What if you filled the bolt heads with clear silicone, and just wiped it off flush with the tops?
Yeah, could do that but would prefer a small umbrella type cover. Found this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10x-Screw-caps-covers-TORX-T10-to-40-head-push-fit-furniture-quality-plastic-cap/124490912058
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Just missed your post, Gary. You know, I could machine something. I don't really need to have a torx shape. It could be round and just a little bigger than the orfice for a press in fit. I may just do that.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The ones you found want Aussie dollars.  

Yes, you could machine something, but out of what?  And how will you get the umbrella shape?

If you want something smaller than the plastic ones we've found you could machine them down.  But that kind of plastic doesn't machine very well.  So maybe 3D print them?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I have some acetal rod that machines very well. I think I've got this!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Isn’t acetal hard?  How will you do the umbrella curve?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Won't the umbrella defeat the purpose of getting it chromed?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The umbrella doesn’t have to cover the whole of the head. Just needs to be big enough to get under to pull it out/off.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
The umbrella doesn’t have to cover the whole of the head. Just needs to be big enough to get under to pull it out/off.
Exactly, Gary! They'll be small and I can make them look like chrome!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Machspeed wrote
Exactly, Gary! They'll be small and I can make them look like chrome!
This I have to see!  You might be able to sell them as this could be a big upgrade for our trucks.