Just wanted to say hello!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Just wanted to say hello!

Berrybunch
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help over the past year.  I've been trying to restore this truck for my son.  Well not completely by my self and not completely restored.  He bought it 4 years ago, it had belonged to his grandfather at one point who just before that, past away.  He had a special relationship with him, and he had always admired the truck as a small child.  Upon purchasing the truck he could not get it running reliably enough to use it.  He had given up 2 years ago and  decided to serve a mission for our church which is for 2 years, after he left I just couldn't let the dream of that truck die, it has good bones as they say, so I took it to a local auto shop and had them look it over. They agreed that it was still worth fixing, so they did some basic services, but could not get the Holley carb working, and I could not find any one in town that would work on it for me.  My son had talked about converting to FI, so I did a little online searching and settled on the Edelbrock proflo4 system for the ease of install.  Which is the case, very easy, of course you have to eliminate the emissions but living in Phoenix, we still have to pass emissions.  After a small electrical fire behind the dash, I was force the replace the wiring harness.  Which is where I'm at so far.  It does run well, easy to start, but have not got the wiring done completely.  So I guess I'll be looking for anyone who has made electrical repairs on lighting and some accessories.   Looking forward to hearing about everyone's adventures,  love these trucks.  Scott and Malachi in Surprise AZ
Big Red 85 F150 XLT Lariat 5.8l (used to have 4bbl Holley, now Edelbrock proflo4 MPFI) rewired with kwikwire harness, 2 in. Lift, 32 in. tires.  Dakota  digital VHX dash with bim can bus to Edelbrock.  Sat for 15 years at 7500 ft elev.  Resto in progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Just wanted to say hello!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Scott & Malachi!  Glad you joined.  Love the story.

Are you Scott or Malachi?  Where is your son on his mission?

Surprise!  Would you like to be on our map?  Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

Normally new members start in the New Members Start Here folder since we want to ensure they see the Guidelines.  Have you seen them?

And, we are here to help with your project.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Berrybunch
Welcome aboard gentelmen, I can help some with the wiring and so can quite a few of the other folks. By the way, I live just up the road near Prescott Valley
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the welcome Gary, this is Scott,  Malachi is in the Washington D.C. mission, serving mostly in southern Maryland.   He comes home in 2 months,  I'm very new to this forum stuff, I thought I was on the new member page!  Yes you can put us on the map.
Big Red 85 F150 XLT Lariat 5.8l (used to have 4bbl Holley, now Edelbrock proflo4 MPFI) rewired with kwikwire harness, 2 in. Lift, 32 in. tires.  Dakota  digital VHX dash with bim can bus to Edelbrock.  Sat for 15 years at 7500 ft elev.  Resto in progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - You are now on the map.  I made it Scott/Berrybunch, and I'm not saying that Malachi can't be part of your membership.  But since it is free he may want his own.

As for DC, I've been there many, many times.  But haven't spent much time in southern Maryland.  Hope he likes it.  

And don't worry about "this forum stuff".  We aren't too worried about things.  We just have fun.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Scott!  

We love both Parent/Child projects, and Grampa's old truck projects.
So you have the double whammy there.

Rusty seems especially good with those Dakota Digital displays, but many of us might be able to help with the harness.
You have Kwikwire, but do you need some Ford specific chunk of harness?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
Yes to the chunks of harness!  I've been trying to test the headlight switch, can't seem to figure out the dash/door lighting.  Unfortunately I pulled some of that out trying to find the source of the fire.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the electrical flow of things, I'm a plumber by trade.  Not my forte.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are the EVTM's listed under, documentation/electrical/EVTMs/(year range)/sub group, i.e. lighting.

There is also the Marketplace where you can see if someone has a 'free to a good home' listing or you can post in 'Wanted to Buy'.

Not too much different to plumbing electrons..
Valves, accumulators, manifolds, etc.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim is right, the EVTM's are a lot easier to understand than wiring diagrams.  They break each system into a page or two and describe how the system works as well as how to troubleshoot it.

So, what is the question on the dash/door lighting?  Is there a way I can map it out for you?

Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks, I spent a few hours last night going thru those things.  Very helpful!  I still have some questions on abbreviations used for items in the diagrams but I have definitely made some headway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes the EVTM's are very helpful, especially for the issues I have with the truck right now!  I have eliminated some stuff that is integrated into so many other things, it just gets confusing!   Like cruise control and the emissions stuff, why is the clock run thru the cruise control box?  Anyway, thanks for all the help so far,  I definitely feel a lot less stressed after last night looking thru all your material!   It should be a great week for the truck, hopefully I can get the dash back in by Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rusty recently posted a list of abbreviations and acronyms.

I asked him if it would be ok for Gary to use it here on the site.
Let me see if I can find it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems to have been truncated.

I'm on a phone, so don't know what else to do.

Maybe you can look down the forum page at page 2 of FrazierJames' thread?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
That's definitely a start, thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If there's a term you're unfamiliar with feel free to ask.
I'm sure many of us have been there before.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ah, just a second page...

Abbreviations should be listed in the EVTM's as well.
Gary is great for including all the pages.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
Well, it’s been a long 2 months!  I’ve got almost everything wired up.  A couple specific issues- the right head light is only getting 8 volts when on, the high beam is getting 12.  8 volts doesn’t seem to be enough to light it up.  The high beam warning light also is lit very dimly on low beam and brightly on high.  This is a new light, new harness and grounds are solid.  I’m thinking of putting in some relays for the headlights.  But want to make sure I don’t have another fire under the dash!  Any ideas what could cause the voltage to drop like that?  
Second issue- steering wheel is tilt, but it doesn’t lock into position, if you pull down on the wheel it drops to the lowest position.  You have to push the turn signal lever in to move it back up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me see if I understand.  The right headlight's low beam is only getting 8 volts but the left headlight gets 12 volts on low?  And the high beam warning light is lit dimly when the headlights are on low, but brightly when they are on high?

If that is correct then I think you have at least two problems.  In the schematic you can see that the left and right low (and high) beams are both driven by the same wire out of the dimmer switch, so for them to do different things means that something like Splice 811 is bad.

But, if the high beam warning light is on some when the headlights are on low that points to the dimmer switch itself.  I'd start there and see if either cleaning or replacing it fixes at least the warning light problem, and maybe the low beam problem if I misunderstood.