Jet Hot Coatings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jet Hot Coatings

Rusty_S85
Got a question since I cant seem to get a straight answer from Jet Hot themselves.

Their website (www.jet-hot.com/colors) states the following.

" *Classic Polish is a ceramic-metallic coating whereas all other colors are a pure ceramic top coat, most often applied on top of a ceramic-metallic base coat for superior corrosion protection.  Classic Polish and Satin Silver finish are not color options for Off-Road (2000) or Ultra Extreme Heat (2500) coatings. "

From my understanding from the above I should be able to get the classic polish 1300 coating on my headers for the up to 65% reduction in temperature and then pick a top coat color option like say 2031 White to have my headers in white instead of the silver I dont care for.

I asked if I am understanding it correctly and the individual helping me via email informed me that you cant apply a color coat on top of the polish as it wont stick to it.  I just sent another email to then explain what the website is meaning cause the website is heavily implying that you can do that.

Anyone here that has had Jet Hot do their coating know about this?  I would love the 65% reduction in temperature that comes with the polished 1300 ceramic coating but I dont want the silver I want a color other than that but the interaction is making me feel like this is a loosing battle as I still have yet to get a price quote since I started conversing with them via email for a price quote back in February.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jet Hot Coatings

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's not how I read it Rusty.

I think they have a ceramic-metallic basecoat that acts like a corrosion inhibiting primer (like you might use zinc chromate under paint)

The 'classic polish' is a gloss metallic finish.

Gary dealt with them when he did the L&L headers on Big Blue.
I expect he has something to add to the discussion.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't really know how to take that statement.  And I'm finding that folks aren't very good with English so their statements sometimes don't mean what they say.  (Like the round I just had with Garmin.)

But let me tell you about a couple of interactions I've had with Jet-Hot, and these snippets come from the Big Blue's Transformation thread:

I had a really good call with Debi at Jet-Coat, who knows her stuff.  First, I'd picked too short of headers and I'd picked the Classic coating.  But the longer headers I'm talking about would be $425 with the Classic coating.  However, that coating is "only" good to 1200 degrees, and when I said "EFI" she quickly informed me that sometimes that will drive the temp too high for the Classic coating.  Instead, she recommended the Offroad coating, which is good to 2000 degrees, and that would be $561 on long-tubes.

As for the temp reduction, the Classic polished coating reduces temps "up to 65%", while the Offroad coating reduces temps "40 - 43%" due to the lack of polish.

So I called HPC and Roger answered "HPC Jet-Hot." Turns out they merged a few years ago. As previously reported I talked with Debi at their CA facility and got quotes from her. But today Roger, the plant manager, talked with me for 30 minutes. I explained my application and he told me about their products: 1300; 2000; & 2500, with those being the names as well as the temps they can withstand. Roger agreed with Debi that in my application the 1300 might melt. And while the 2500 has the best of the properties it is also essentially porcelain and can chip. So Roger said he thinks the 2000 is the one for me. And, if I come down to pick them up the price for coating them both inside and out is $450. Plus, he'll give me a tour.

Since you are going EFI I question using the Classic coating given what both Debi and Roger told me.  And I agree that a color won't stick to the polished Classic.  So I don't think it is going to work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's not how I read it Rusty.

I think they have a ceramic-metallic basecoat that acts like a corrosion inhibiting primer (like you might use zinc chromate under paint)

The 'classic polish' is a gloss metallic finish.

Gary dealt with them when he did the L&L headers on Big Blue.
I expect he has something to add to the discussion.
I read it both ways thats why I emailed them back to clarify.  But the guy who I have been dealing with through the email has been anything but helpful.  He just simply told me that you cant put a color top coat over the polish as it wont stick and left it at that.  Not even a mention of what was the meaning behind the metallic finish the color coat was being put atop of.  I made it clear in the email I am not a fan of the polished silver color as any scratch or nick will end up looking dull gray and it looks like cheap Chinese chrome to me so I would want to have a color other than the polished silver or the satin silver.

This is the same individual who has still not given me a price quote for how much I am looking at for having my hedman headers ceramic coated.  Its just like this interaction, gives a little information but not the full information and then totally ignore my request for pricing in each email.  What I am planning on doing is just getting my information from him and get my pricing by calling when I am ready to ship the headers out for ceramic coating.

Gary Lewis wrote
I don't really know how to take that statement.  And I'm finding that folks aren't very good with English so their statements sometimes don't mean what they say.  (Like the round I just had with Garmin.)

But let me tell you about a couple of interactions I've had with Jet-Hot, and these snippets come from the Big Blue's Transformation thread:

I had a really good call with Debi at Jet-Coat, who knows her stuff.  First, I'd picked too short of headers and I'd picked the Classic coating.  But the longer headers I'm talking about would be $425 with the Classic coating.  However, that coating is "only" good to 1200 degrees, and when I said "EFI" she quickly informed me that sometimes that will drive the temp too high for the Classic coating.  Instead, she recommended the Offroad coating, which is good to 2000 degrees, and that would be $561 on long-tubes.

As for the temp reduction, the Classic polished coating reduces temps "up to 65%", while the Offroad coating reduces temps "40 - 43%" due to the lack of polish.

So I called HPC and Roger answered "HPC Jet-Hot." Turns out they merged a few years ago. As previously reported I talked with Debi at their CA facility and got quotes from her. But today Roger, the plant manager, talked with me for 30 minutes. I explained my application and he told me about their products: 1300; 2000; & 2500, with those being the names as well as the temps they can withstand. Roger agreed with Debi that in my application the 1300 might melt. And while the 2500 has the best of the properties it is also essentially porcelain and can chip. So Roger said he thinks the 2000 is the one for me. And, if I come down to pick them up the price for coating them both inside and out is $450. Plus, he'll give me a tour.

Since you are going EFI I question using the Classic coating given what both Debi and Roger told me.  And I agree that a color won't stick to the polished Classic.  So I don't think it is going to work.
See the guy I been talking with never made mention of any of that.  He told me vaguely that only the polished ceramic coating has the best heat reduction coating and implied vaguely that the other coatings didn't have much if any heat reduction coating.  If the offroad coating has 40% - 43% reduction in temperature I could live with that seeing as its not much lower than 65% reduction.  But the guy I've been talking with made it sound like the Off-Road coating provided no reduction to heat which is why he kept pushing me towards the 1300 polished ceramic coating since I want heat reduction on my headers.  I also remember he told me earlier this year that only the 1300 ceramic coating was coated inside and out and that the Off-road 2000 ceramic coating was only an external coating.

In fact I was looking at the Off-road 2000 coating but the individual Ive been talking with via email kept pushing the standard ceramic coating 1300 with the polished as being the only one with heat reduction up to 65% when I informed him that I am not looking for protection of the headers as much as I am looking for a barrier to keep the heat with in the headers.

He also made no mention of my EFI setup either when I mentioned the basic specs of my engine build to try and get a better recommendation for what coating I should be going for.

Color wise I havent decided yet, some of the colors that have caught my eye was their 2002 Satin Black, 2057 Titanium, 2038 Cast Iron, 2051 Blue Pearl, 2036 Red Copper, 2041 Yellow Brass, 2048 Gold Pearl, 2050 Yellow Gold, 2031 White, 2067 Chameleon Red.  So I still have to make my decision.  None the less it looks like I am going to go with the Off-Road 2000 ceramic coating even though the individual I am dealing with keeps pushing me towards the standard 1300 ceramic coating.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Contact Debi Heath at Jet-Hot: dheath@jet-hot.com

I don't know who the nimrod was that you were talking to, but Debi can answer all of your questions.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Littlebeefy wrote

I don't know who the nimrod was that you were talking to, but Debi can answer all of your questions.
I will do that.  Individual I am talking with was the one that contacted me from their online quote request form and its showing up that his name is Lance.

I dont know anything about him to really bad mouth him but I will contact Debi however.  I will bring up my previous emails and type one up to her maybe get a price quote while I am at it.  I know I wont be getting it done right now, but I would love to know how much I am looking at to know how much to put to the side for this.

I also want to get to the bottom of the insulation ability and color options and I really would like to find out if the Off-Road 2000 can be applied inside and out cause I know even their website states that the Off-Road can be applied to most external surfaces but no mention of internal.  Might not be a smart thing to do cause I remember I was informed the Off-road 2000 will have a bedliner texture to the finish and that I probably wont be able to see the Hedman Headers badge let alone read it after its coated.  I was also informed that they dont do repairs to headers meaning they wont check the weld joints before ceramic coating to make sure there are no leaks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Littlebeefy wrote
Amen!  That's the lady I talked to, and she knows her stuff.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
Littlebeefy wrote
Amen!  That's the lady I talked to, and she knows her stuff.
I did just that, I typed out a full email to her, told her what I am doing, my goal of lowering radiant heat from the headers to try and keep under hood temps as low as possible as well as my dislike of the polished and silver colors used on the extreme 1300 ceramic coating as I know from work that when they get scratched its a flat gray that is very obvious.  I also told her like I told the previous guy that measuring from flange to flange following the tubes the longest measurement I had was just under 19" for my shorty headers and if she could provide me a price estimate for the Off-Road 2000 coating.

I also asked her about if they check headers over before ceramic coating like for bad weld joints or possible leak points or if they just ceramic coat the headers and it would be up to me to check for leaks.

I also asked about the O2 bung I currently have plugged if it would be advisable to leave it in and ceramic coat over it or remove it and reinstall when I get it back.  Im going to be having a bung welded into the flowmaster Y pipe that I still need to get to get the O2 sensor further back from the collector for a better reading of all four cylinders.  That is unless my tuner says using the O2 bung in the cross over pipe between the two Y pipes would be a viable O2 sensor location but I dont think it would be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Ok got a lot of my questions answered.  You can get the color top coat on the Extreme 1300 but it takes the place of the polish.  It was explained to me that for the Off-Road 2000 if I go with that which I told her will most likely be the one I go with that as a courtesy they can apply a Extreme 1300 base on the inside of the headers which will help with insulation as well as protection.

I am still waiting on a price quote how ever, I dont know how long it takes to figure one up but she asked for the part number and some photos of the headers, which I provided close up photos and the part number for now its just waiting on a price quote.  It wont cover the Limited Edition colors which will cost more.  I doubt I will go with one of their limited edition colors cause its a bunch of whites, Sand, Yellow, Silver Pearl, a couple Blues, and a chameleon red which I dont think I will go with any of those colors.  Chameleon Red was a option but the only photos I saw of it on an ATV exhaust just didnt look that good to me nor do I think it would be a good accent color to try and break up all the blue and black on my engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Progress!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep, progress is always good, and I am feeling really good about all this.

Right now, I am trying to decide on a color to work as an accent.

I've already decided against using 2031 white, white is a great traditional color for headers on a hotrod, but I am not building my truck to be a hotrod.

Ive also decided against using their Chameleon Red, it looks great in their preview but looking at photos of customer`s vehicles it just doesnt look as impressive.

So that basically leaves me with their stock colors.

I do like the Satin Black as shown below but my engine is basically blue and black with small accent colors here and there in the form of polished and non-polished stainless steel, aluminum, and gold.  I just think black headers would just blend in too much and just look very bland.

Next color on my list is their 2057 Titanium which does look like a very dark natural steel color.  I am kind of partial to this since it does look somewhat like natural stainless steel offered by other ceramic coaters.

Next color is their 2038 Cast Iron which I am leaning towards cutting from the list of potential colors as it looks like it's a proper color for manifolds and wouldn't look that good on headers.

I do like the 2037 Bronze and think that could be a nice alternative to the traditional white/black/silver color used on headers.

There is also 2047 Red Bronze which is appealing as well but I dont think it would go with my engine build as an accent color.

I also kind of like this 2035 Dark Copper which are on these GT40 headers.

Then there are these colors which I have not been able to find photos of outside of their sample cards on their website.

2051 Blue Pearl
2034 Copper
2035 Dark Copper
2048 Gold Pearl
2050 Yellow Gold
2062 American Copper

The blue pearl looks like its midnight blue kind of color a blackish blue which would go with the exterior of my truck, but the sample may look better than the actual color.

The Copper colors I thought would be something unique just like the gold colors which would tie the headers in with the 4150 Sniper which is also in a gold finish.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Obviously that's a personal choice, but I like the 2057 Titanium.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
Obviously that's a personal choice, but I like the 2057 Titanium.
Yep the more I think on it the more I keep leaning towards Titanium for its bare metal appearance over the fancy colors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Well, I have a bit of an update.

I didn't get the price quote on Friday after I made the decision on a color coat Off Road 2000 coating.  I expected to get a reply today in the morning, but I didn't get a reply till late afternoon apologizing that it was very busy Monday there.  The email also stated that they sent an estimate to my email for the Off-road in Titanium (already was informed any stock color would be the same price only limited-edition colors are more).  Also said that she just needs to add a return shipping address to my estimate form and asking me where I would like the headers shipped back to.

On the quote form I am hopeful the UPS Ground shipping is just a place holder price, but this is what it breaks down to.

H2S-2000TC-Shorty Up to 21" 2-piece header standard Top Coat Color : $572.42
2057-Titanium : $0.00
C-UPS Ground Shipping : $101.20
INS-1500-INSURANCE $1500 (Signature is Required Upon Delivery) : $13.20
OKC-Please Ship to Jet-Hot, 400 Glade Ave, Oklahoma City, Ok 73127 : $0.00

For a grand total of $686.82.

Seeing as the headers are just being shipped from Houston, Tx to Oklahoma City, Ok the UPS ground shipping shouldn't be over $30.  Summit shipped these headers to me free of charge due to them being over $100.  It did state in the email that All orders using Extreme 2000 or 2500 (I assume the Off-Road 2000 is Extreme 2000) as well as orders closer to Oklahoma ship there, others ship to North Carolina.  Thats why it defaulted to Oklahoma so hopefully the price comes down some cause honestly with Cradin Coatings they were under $300 for ceramic coating a pair of shorty headers and I was expecting Jet-Hot with the lifetime warranty being between $400 and $500, not almost $700.  Still, I do like the lifetime warranty on the coating and being able to send them back for a recoat at any time long as it's not heat related damage or damaged by impact.

I will be asking how ever about the estimate and how long do I have to make a decision on it cause it's a bit more than I was expecting and Im still waiting on the feds to issue me my tax refund so I can go ahead and ship the headers out so I can get them back and bolted on by the end of the year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Well I asked about the shipping if that is correct cause that shipping is quite high.  Been two days without a reply but I do know they are quite busy.

But at this rate the more I think about it, I dont think I will be going with Jet Hot.  I just dont know I could justify $100+ for shipping from Texas to Oklahoma.  Just like I cant justify almost $700 to ceramic coat a pair of headers that didnt even cost $350 to buy in the first place.  Real shame too cause I was expecting $400 - $500 max considering that Cradin Industries on their website lists shorty headers as being under $300 to ceramic coat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had the same thoughts a few years ago, but pulled the trigger and did it.  And having run them for probably 10,000 miles with no chipping nor rusting I'm glad I did it.  But it was a big decision and I'm not sure it really makes good economic sense.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
I had the same thoughts a few years ago, but pulled the trigger and did it.  And having run them for probably 10,000 miles with no chipping nor rusting I'm glad I did it.  But it was a big decision and I'm not sure it really makes good economic sense.  
That is the stage I am at right now.  I been thinking on it the last few days, on one hand I like the thought of Jet-Hot getting its start in the same time period as my truck was built as well as the life time warranty.  I also like the thought of the multiple levels of coatings as well as the selection of color choices.  On the other hand can I really justify spending almost $700 on headers that cost less than $400.

I know I will like it, its just something that I am dwelling on right now and the worse thing is the shipping, Im questioning why is it over $100.  If the shipping cost was what I believe to be more reasonable then it would be a lot easier for me to justify the expense.

I did at least make a decision on the color and will be going with the Titanium color so I made some progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I was talking with Jet Hot we agreed a price w/o shipping as I was to pick the headers up in OKC, about 2 1/2 hours away for me.  But COVID hit and they weren't letting people into the plant, so they just shipped them to me at the same price.  

I'm glad I did it, but I can't really justify it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
When I was talking with Jet Hot we agreed a price w/o shipping as I was to pick the headers up in OKC, about 2 1/2 hours away for me.  But COVID hit and they weren't letting people into the plant, so they just shipped them to me at the same price.  

I'm glad I did it, but I can't really justify it.
That was a good deal.  I couldnt justify driving that far, would be cheaper to pay the shipping than to pay for the fuel round trip.

I do agree I doubt I would be unhappy with their ceramic coating because when people talk about ceramic coating they always bring up Jet Hot.  They did tell me I can accept the estimate and ship the headers in when I am ready but I havent clicked accept yet cause I dont know how long I can wait.  I hope to get the headers shipped out by November/December but that really depends on if my tax refund that has been delayed for various reasons gets issued before then.