It's Been A While

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

It's Been A While

LARIAT 85
Hello gentlemen.  It's been a while since I have been in here.  I hope everyone is doing well.  

As for me, life is moving along and I have decided to sell my beloved Lucille.  I have accomplished EXACTLY what I wanted to do with her, and frankly, I don't know what else to do with it.  It is simply too nice to haul with, and I am getting to the point where I am almost afraid to drive it - out of fear someone is going to hit it.  If that were to actually happen, I don't think I would have any interest in fixing it back up again.  Besides, I have two other older vehicles that will keep me busy, along with two small boys.  At this stage, I would rather enjoy a pool in my backyard with my family rather than pull Lucille out of my garage once a week to keep her in shape.

To that end, can anyone offer advice on how to proceed?  I have never sold a classic vehicle before, and I don't personally know anyone who has.  

If YOU had a restored, show-winning classic vehicle you would like to sell, where would you start?  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: It's Been A While

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good to see you back!  

I suppose every project comes to an end (unless you're Gary).  

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Thank you!  

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Hey Rick,

Nice to hear from you! I understand on the sale of the truck...I go through this fairly often actually...lol. I've had some discussions with people recently (today even) about buying and selling classics or hotrods or whatever. Some people just don't understand;)

I have had great luck selling my vehicles on Facebook Marketplace. Maybe I'm listing them for too low a price, but they always sell quickly, between 2-5 days.

If I was in the US with a truck of your quality, I'd personally list it on Bring a Trailer or Mecum or similar online auction house.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-f-150-17/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-f-150-12/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/461639/1986-ford-f150-xlt-lariat-pickup/?aa_id=284098-0

Another thing you could do is talk to Troy Kruger...although I don't know his forum name...Gary might be able to tell us. I have him on FB, so I can find him easy enough. Isn't he in the business of buying and selling classic and/or collectable vehicles?? Gary? Jim? Troy would have some insight on how to sell it I'm sure.

For what it's worth, I sold my little blue Flareside 3 years ago now? I listed it on FB Marketplace for $21,000 (That's Canadian, obviously...so about $15k USD at today's exchange rate) and it sold in only a few days for $18,500). I didn't have to drop the price that low, but I'm one of those guys that likes to sell quick. I don't want a vehicle sitting around for two extra months just to make an extra $500 bucks.

In any case, good luck with the sale Rick!! That's a beautiful truck.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome back, Kotter!  I'm mean Fonzie.  Oh yes, Rick!  

I'm having a hard time believing you'll sell Lucile, but I do understand that you are afraid to drive it.  So unless you are going to hit the shows and trailer it you are stuck.  (Part of the reason I've not had Big Blue painted.)

I think Cory's suggestions are good.  And things seem to be selling really well right now, so you should be able to sell it quickly.

And Jim, do you read lips.    ()
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Did any of you happen to see the truck below online? It was making the internet rounds as I believe it sold for $77,000 about a week ago:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1108817/1996-ford-f350-pickup/?aa_id=547226-0
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
BroDozers aren't my thing but I could well imagine he had at least that much into it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I sold a couple with the help of streetside classics in Nashville TN. in fact I have one there now. I intend to continue if I ever get another completed but in charlotte NC as that is closer to me now.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
LARIAT 85 wrote
It is simply too nice to haul with, and I am getting to the point where I am almost afraid to drive it - out of fear someone is going to hit it.
Hi Rick, happy to see your doing well!
I understand your concern about Lucille.
Rembrant wrote
Did any of you happen to see the truck below online? It was making the internet rounds as I believe it sold for $77,000 about a week ago.
Rick, it is obvious that this guy doesn’t share your stress, taking pictures of his 77000$ truck in the middle of the highway.

BYW, is a 1996 considered a «classic» truck?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
BigBrother-84 wrote
BYW, is a 1996 considered a «classic» truck?
It's 28 years old....
It definitely is a "classic" truck
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thanks!  That sounds like a good idea I never thought of.  

I made a few videos of my truck.  How much do you think I should ask for?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rick - Your videos look great and showcase Lucille nicely. She'll go for a lot.

I can't tell you how much it is worth, but here's what Hagerty says about it. Hope that helps.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
To each their own but this is the guideline I use to buy/sell on marketplace. I have observed this is quite accurate for trucks. This doesn’t however take into account any of the improvements made to make the vehicle more robust and better than it ever was designed to be. Custom / resto-moded vehicles are better sold in an auction. Agree with the advice above. Hagerty guidelines capture both market place and auctions so it’s a really good reference.

Awesome truck you have got. I don't think I have come across something that nice in person. Auction is the recommended approach here, not marketplace...

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
viven44 wrote
Awesome truck you have got. I don't think I have come across something that nice in person. Auction is the recommended approach here, not marketplace...
I suppose that there are some better auction places than others, to get the highest as possible for such beauty.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Did you sell it?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
No, not yet.