classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: It begins - '86 F250 6.9

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
LMC seems to have the battery tray parts.   https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/fd-1980-86-battery-tray-and-components

Those radiator clamps that hold it to the radiator support don't seem to be an item anywhere I know of.
IIRC Cory made some for one of his Flareside trucks and posted about fabbing them up.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86Bug Truck
Thanks! The way I read the LMC description, it's only for gas engines. Don't know enough to know if that matters, but I figured it wouldn't work. Appreciate the input and leads on radiator stuff.
'86 F250 4X4 6.9 IDI Standard Cab Manual Trans
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I know the diesel trucks have a left hand battery tray too, but I don't know that the right hand tray doesn't fit the diesel battery.
Certainly my 87, which has the tray above the fender liner, is fine with a 1000 A group 65 battery on the right.

Gary may have some good advice since he has fitted a left tray and some huge batteries in Big Blue.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Doing a heck of a job
I did a 4 year cab off frame rebuild of my 81 F100 flare side.
I striped everything off the frame as that is the base of the truck.
After the rust on the frame was treated and painted I then reworked each part before it was put back on the frame.

On the dash & wiring in my case I pulled then together as a unit.
When it was time to install the dash, after it was rebuilt, it went back in as dash & wiring harness.
Made it easy doing it that way. Oh I did all the work by my self.

On removing the cab I striped everything off it to make it lighter, remember by my self.
Being you have the rear axle back in you will need 2 planks that reach past the outer axle, and 2 saw horses.
I did not have the axle in so I was able to lift the cab 1 side at a time and kick the horse under the rocker then do the same to the other side.
You will need to do the same and put the planks from horse to horse so you can roll the frame out from under the cab.

Frame ready to go back under the cab after the floors, rockers, cab corners, door posts were replaced.

Rebuilt parts going back on the frame / base.

I did not have to rebuild the rear axle other than all new brake parts, the motor as it ran good and trans needed to replace after it was on the road.
Just a little of what I did and how I did it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

86Bug Truck
Dave - thanks so much! That's really helpful info on the cab (no lift here and a solo adventure).
I'm in a similar boat, getting it down to frame and reworking/replacing everything (also learning as I go, so slow progress).

It seemed initially there would be lots of aftermarket stuff, but where the engine bay is involved, I'm finding  less so for diesel models.
Some of these truck's parts are just too far gone to be workable, but I'm hanging on to everything just in case.

If you get a chance, would love to see a pic of the finished product.
Thanks again,
Laurie

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Are they ever finished
started off as this

Side shot shows the dual tank doors. Rear tank on flare side was not an option.

Custom made front bumper. No bolts showing and fog / driving lights fitted.

No bumperbolts showing and FORD is reflected

Mounted on the front bumper

I also have a book with photos I put out at shows as people did not believe I did all the work even the paint.
Yesterday taking the trash to the dump I got a thumbs up at a traffic light and 2 guys said nice truck at the gas station.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

86Bug Truck
Update because it was a big weekend.
Got the rebuilt diff/axle/brakes back and mounted up

And most of weekend was spent uncovering more ugly - removed AC system, radiator and support (and a lot of electrical labeling)

Haven't looked real hard, but looks like there's no aftermarket AC option for this model?

Oh! And scored a Blue Top Steering Gear - arrived Saturday.

Hope y'all have a great week!
Laurie
Reply | Threaded
|

86Bug Truck
Hope all are doing well. Haven't posted an update in awhile, but have I have been busy with the old truck.
I finished prime/paint on frame, and got the rebuilt axles and fresh suspension mounted.
Engine is out and away for rebuild.

Slow and steady progress...
Y'all have a great week,
Laurie

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  What a difference!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86Bug Truck
 Jim,