classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Interior lights driver door switch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, probably best to work this one thing at a time.  So lets do map lights.  I've included the wiring diagram, and it looks like the dome light and map lights are on two different fuses.  Have you checked Fuse 8?

As for the emergency brake light, in '81 there was no switch on the e-brake pedal.  I've included both the wiring diagram for that as well as the following page in the EVTM that tells when the light should come on for the emergency brake.  Does your light come on when you turn the key to On?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
 I checked all the fuses when I first bought the truck and none appear damaged but I can take another look when I get home from work.  And as my emergency brake light has never worked since I’ve had the truck, I don’t even know where it would be at!  I can’t tell you how many times I forgot to take the break off  
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm thinking it is the 2nd from the left, but am not sure 'bout that.  I'm guessing the bulb may be burned out if it doesn't come on with the key.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...it looks like the dome light and map lights are on two different fuses.
They're all on Fuse 8.  4 only feeds the parking lights & dimmed dash circuit (pin I).
delco1946 wrote
And as my emergency brake light has never worked since I’ve had the truck, I don’t even know where it would be at!
Probably one of the spots above the cluster that doesn't light up.   Look on the frame below the master cylinder for the 2-wire connector on the proportioning valve.  Both wires are Pu/Wh.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve83 wrote
They're all on Fuse 8.  4 only feeds the parking lights & dimmed dash circuit (pin I).
Right you are!  Well spotted.  

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I replaced all my fuses and still no map lights. The bulbs appeared to have their filaments still. I also called the emergency brake light bulb out and inspect it and it to had its filament intact, although it seemed a bit “stuck” so maybe the contact is corroded. Regarding the map lights any ideas? I guess I’ll take it back down and examine it again , see if I can find any voltage present.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The diode allows the dome light to come on via the pin switches in the door w/o the cargo light coming on then.  But both come on when the knob on the headlight switch is turned fully counterclockwise.

You should check the map light bulbs to see if they work.  I think, but don't know for sure, that they will fit in the dome light section with the cover off.  But try them somehow - maybe just by holding the body of the bulb to the battery post and jumping from the other post to the base.

If the bulbs are good then check with your volt meter to see if there's power at the unit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by delco1946
Check the wiring in the driver's threshold, and at the bottom of the B-pillar.