Interior Vent Kick Panel Water Coming In

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interior Vent Kick Panel Water Coming In

Rmorcom33
Just bought trim.MOV5DE3D9A2-47BB-418E-B612-8F26B3C8185A.jpeg86 F150 Stepside. 4x4 with AC. Driver Side Air Vent kick panel has water coming in when washing her.  Passenger side does not.  Driver side I can see right through to the fender wall. Passenger side I cannot. First, is there a true name to this panel/vent?  Am I missing a piece to go inside the vent?  Will put a new gasket on but that wont stop the water. Neither will closing the vent like some A-hole told me. Lol.  Thanks for the help. Bobby
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interior Vent Kick Panel Water Coming In

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bobby - Nice looking truck, so why not include it in the thread?

As for the water coming in, do you have a block-off plate like this screwed to the cab?

Or is it open like this?

Or, do you have the slide vents like this?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rmorcom33
I posted both video and photo of the truck. Your site doesnt seem to want to play the video. Attached here again with new photos. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 14, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bobby - Nice looking truck, so why not include it in the thread?

As for the water coming in, do you have a block-off plate like this screwed to the cab?

Or is it open like this?

Or, do you have the slide vents like this?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Interior-Vent-Kick-Panel-Water-Coming-In-tp79445p79446.html
To unsubscribe from Interior Vent Kick Panel Water Coming In, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can't easily post a .mov on here. The way I do it is to put the video on Youtube and then get the "embed" code and put it here. BUT, you have to tick the box above/left that says "Message is in HTML Format" to make that work.

Here's your video:

So, you have vents in the kick panels. But you shouldn't have water coming in there. My guess is that the "duck bill" is plugged. That is a screwed to the outside of the cab and is between the back of the fender and the cab. Here's the one on Dad's truck, but getting yours off will require pulling the rear of the fender liner away and reaching up between the cab and fender. However, if you pull that kick panel vent you will probably be able to vacuum out a whole bunch of crud that is blocking that vent.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, by the way, you are replying via email.  That's not the recommended way of replying as it copies in a whole bunch of the preceding message unless you specifically delete it.  The best way of replying is to click the link right below "If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:"  That will take you into the forum and you'll see the other person's post and you can reply.

And, you can also see all of the junk that gets copied in when you reply via email.  But, this is your thread so you get to chose how to respond.  Just bear in mind that some may not want to read the thread with the extraneous stuff in it, so that might limit the help you get.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Rmorcom33
Rmorcom33 wrote
Driver side I can see right through to the fender wall. Passenger side I cannot.
You can't see the fender through these vents on either side. The area those vents open to is boxed in, like an internal channel in the cab. If you CAN actually see the fender through there, then something is wrong.

I'd look closely at the bottom of the cowl trough. Look down through the cowl vents around the wipers. It's common for the trough floor to rust, and there's a bead of seam sealer in there that dries and cracks after a while.

Get somebody to hold the hose outside the cab while you look to see where it's coming in.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
<p></p>
Here's your video:
<p></p>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pRrAovwwet4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p></p>
Oh, my bad...I just watched the video...
If it's actually coming out of the vents then yes that duck bill is blocked, and the whole cavity must be full in there. I just cleaned this area out on my 1980 today and there was a big pile of leaves in there.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I cleaned that area on Big Blue last week some time and was surprised how much stuff was in there.  Don't know how long the pin cushion cowl has been on, but the leaves and other stuff had to have gotten in before it was put on, so they've been there quite some time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rmorcom33
Great info guys. TY TY TY. Keep you posted
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!

And, by the way, I like your nice, clean post.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Is it even worth keeping those duck bills? I yanked mine off and don't really plan on putting them back on to try to save my cab. There's a small panel gap at the bottom of that trough, and that's how water drains from the cowl. But once that is backed up, the next exit is where the duck bill is. But if that's also clogged, that's where you run into Bobby's issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know that Jim recommends pulling them off.  I looked at doing that on Big Blue but it was going to take more work than I thought it was worth since I have the pin-cushion cowl and there shouldn't be any more "stuff" coming into that area.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Is it even worth keeping those duck bills? I yanked mine off and don't really plan on putting them back on to try to save my cab.
I did the same.  I get a kick from some of the replies suggesting that one can simply vacuum out some debris like leaves to solve the problem - in my case I was able to vacuum out some leaves, then reach in and pull out some other crud, and finally went in there with a spoon to shovel out dirt deep enough to grow potatoes in.  After that I pulled the duck bills off, and then I was able to run enough water in through the cowl with a hose to finally wash everything clean.

And now my truck stays dry inside when it rains.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't really "recommend", that's just what I've done to my truck.
Time will tell, but I also have the '87-'90 'pinhole' cowl.

Bobby, the cowl from a Bricknose truck will match your body lines but it does not have the open slots that let so many leaves in.
My truck still had debris in the rubber drains when I pulled them out last year, but not nearly as bad.

Two things....

Take off those cover plates Gary shows and scour out the insides of the pockets at the bottom of the cowl.
Use a toothbrush or something. Heat the neck so you can bend it backwards to get in all the corners.
Seal it up well with body caulk, paint, and then Flexseal, Leak Stop or a similar product.
Apply a bead of sealant to the lip of the cover and all the screw holes before putting the panel back on.

If you have a bunch of junk down in there, it's worthwhile to remove the blower motor and check for any leaves or other organic debris packed in around the blower motor speed resistor.
Those coils get very hot and have been known to start fires that spread through the ductwork up inside the dash.
Once the plastic ducts get burning there's really no way to put it out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Although the amount of junk getting into that area is greatly reduced with the 87-91 cowl, the openings for the wiper arms are still an easy entry point for leaves. Even my 1990 cab was filled up with junk because of this. Not as much as my 1980 was, but still enough to cause a leak issue. In my opinion, the duck bills are the second major contributing factor to debris stuck in that area. Installing a pin-hole cowl helps, but doesn't prevent the entire issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had whole leaves in there, which I doubt could get by the wipers.  But I take your point, and I'll probably pull the duck bills one of these days.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Good looking truck and great post comments that will certainly aid in fixing your problem. I don't have the water draining into my truck, yet. Bus, as I have found rust in places I never would have expected, I'm on a mission now to prevent further problems. This will be the next area that I delve into!  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rmorcom33
Happy to say no rust whatsoever. I took off the bottom fender well and had my wife reach up there and stick her fingers in the cowls vagina. Just a sand soot ball. Came right out.   Thanks guys. Works perfectly and wife is turned on. Lol
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Good to hear it worked out for you and got the wife turned on

On the slider vent and AC I don't think your truck is a factory AC truck as it would not have the kick panel vents.
Non-AC trucks had the kick panel vents where AC truck did not and that metal plate was screwed over the opening and a different kick panel plastic was used to finish off that area.

That is unless someone installed a factory AC fire wall in a non-AC truck and left the non-AC vents in place
I guess they could have swapped the vents for the non-AC vents if the truck had factory AC
Nice looking "Flare Side" truck (step side is the bow tie name) and us flare side owners like to point it out  
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I just put slider vents on Big Blue, which is an A/C truck. Did it ‘cause everyone says they give a lot more air on cool days.