Interesting information regarding the 4.9L six cylinder...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Interesting information regarding the 4.9L six cylinder...

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can walk you through a stairstep method that should be accurate enough for what you need. If not I do know a company that can probably be fairly reasonable for a calibration.

FWIW, that was one of my jobs before I retired.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
Is your lighter scale calibrated?
Its output looks reasonable, but I don't have anything of known weight in that range that I could use to check it; or another known-calibrated scale to check it against.
Gary Lewis wrote
Can you use it to calibrate the heavier one?
Not without a really-strong lever & fulcrum.
85lebaront2 wrote
I can walk you through a stairstep method that should be accurate enough for what you need.
I'd be interested to read yours, but there's a procedure in the manual & built into this display head.  It involves setting a near-zero point, and a near-full-scale point.
85lebaront2 wrote
If not I do know a company that can probably be fairly reasonable for a calibration.
I'd certainly be interested to know how "reasonable" it is!   But I have a friend whose business uses a big scale (who knows how accurate that thing is, but it's available) that I planned to use to calibrate mine.  I just have to go over there when they're not busy, and figure out some rigging that can withstand ~5 tons.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, sounds good to me. I know on initial calibration a lot of the electronic units want a zero and full scale load, some we had to do 3 cycles on. We had one system we could not do a full scale on, it was a 200 ton load link, biggest universal test machine we had was 1951 Baldwin 150 ton one.

We had a special purpose crane that had a 5 ton load sensing system in it and we built a special frame to set 5 of our 1 ton standards into to calibrate it. FWIW, those weights were certified to 0.01% of value or +/- 2 lbs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
If you have to have essentially zero and full scale to calibrate then the smaller one is going to be much help.  Ok, that won't work.  But it looks like you have a plan.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Is there any page in that book that describes the precise location of the "frame datum line" or its position on an actual frame?  Passes through some particular bolt or rivet; runs along some surface; anything?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the answer is yes.  I went to the Truck Dimensions tab and then to the bottom of the frame housing the document, and clicked the Full Screen icon in the lower right.  (By the way, I forgot to tell you that I've gone back to only showing one page at a time of a document, largely because that makes the controls at the bottom of the frame accessible.  Otherwise, if we make the frame the full size of the document you'd have to scroll down the whole document to get to those controls, which in this case would be 56 pages.)

Once the doc is open in a new tab I used the Search function and looked for "datum".  Sure enough, there 52 matches.  The one below is from Page B36 and says that the datum line is 2.68" below the top of the bumper and 2.36" above the step.  Which are interesting reference points - what if you had a different bumper?

Anyway, does that help?  Did you have a particular datum line you were asking about?

(And does that show why I like having the pdf on the site?  You can easily search them for anything.  And, as I think about it, that makes my decision of which pdf software to use pretty easy.  Adobe is terribly expensive and ABBYY doesn't OCR the illustrations, and I just found what I wanted in an illustration.  So Foxit wins!)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
...the datum line is 2.68" below the top of the bumper and 2.36" above the step.  Which are interesting reference points - what if you had a different bumper?
My interpretation of what that says is: the top of the optional step bumper should be adjusted so it's 2.68" above the frame datum line, and the step surface is 5.04" below the top of the bumper.
Gary Lewis wrote
Did you have a particular datum line you were asking about?
The one labelled "623 - FRAME DATUM LINE" in all those drawings.

I produced a high-res scalable drawing of an early Bronco frame, but I arbitrarily set my own datum line.

I want to do the same for '80-96 frames:

But I'd rather use Ford's datum line.  I have a couple of sets of dimensions:

But the first one has no side view, and the 2nd is drawn horribly (in addition to being a low-res xerox that I upscaled digitally).  So I expect to start from scratch.  I'm considering buying a '94 BBLB, but if it doesn't contain a precise location for the frame datum line, it would be wasted money.  And if yours doesn't have it, I doubt the later one would.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll look through the book itself in a bit to see if earlier than B36 there's a definition of where the datum line is.

But have you looked through the 52 matches in the linked doc to see if one of those answers your question?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
The answer is that I don't know what the 623 datum line is or, better said, how it is defined.  I've looked through the whole book and I don't see it explained.  So I just don't know.  Sorry.

Having said that, I think you right about things like the bumper height.  It does look like they are referenced from the datum line and not the other way 'round.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But have you looked through the 52 matches in the linked doc to see if one of those answers your question?
Yes, I studied all those diagrams carefully while re-compiling several of them into a nearly-complete Bronco-specific version:

I noticed some omissions & improvements after uploading it, so I might try to fix it later...  Especially if I find the definition of the datum line.