Instrument cluster dimming at idle

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Instrument cluster dimming at idle

Gsmblue
Last night I drove Elyza (F350) for the first time.

The HiPO bright white LEDs are fantastic, I had to dim the instrument lights.  When I got home and the engine dropped to idle the lights dimmed to almost not visible then as I revved the engine they came back.

I am assuming the alternator may be on the way out, but  am also away it could the voltage regulator or the regulator on the back of the instrument cluster.

Basically I am looking for advice on the appropriate trouble shooting to work this out, all advice is welcome!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Instrument cluster dimming at idle

kramttocs
Administrator
Was it only the instrument lights? Could you repeat the test with the headlights and courtesy lights on?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
If you had the A/C and lights on it is probably just because the alternator can't keep up.  You are still running the original 1G, right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I did not notice the headlights dim, but this is something I will check.
The AC was on, i did not turn it off and see if that changed anything.
It is a 1G alternator

So far 2 fingers pointing at the alternator. I will get the DMM out see what the voltage is at idle..

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The 1G can’t keep up with headlights and A/C when idling.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks Gary.

I never noticed in the other trucks before, last night was the first time.

Sounds like I need to do 3x 3G conversions, but which one first???

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gsmblue wrote
Thanks Gary.

I never noticed in the other trucks before, last night was the first time.

Sounds like I need to do 3x 3G conversions, but which one first???
The only time this might be an issue is if you are sitting at an idle for a L O N G T I M E with everything running.
I ask how often will this happen?
It sounds like this is the first time since you had the truck and if me would not worry.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
This is true. I did have the stereo cranked up too.

I may only have noticed as I have the LED dash lights in now and they went from bright to almost off.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
How do you identify what alternator you have?   Mine loks new - may have already been replaced by the PO.  I notice the signals seem slower when the AC is on.  Don't notice any dimming of anything though.  And have been running the AC a LOT lately.  I have this pic.  Does that tell anyone anything?

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
An '81 should have a 1G, which has an external fan and external regulator, which is the box on the fender by the starter relay.

The 2G, aka Firestarter, came out in '86 and has an external fan but internal regulator - no box on the fender.  The main problem with them is that the output connectors can develop a bad connection and start heating, which makes the connection worse, which causes more heating, which...

The 3G came out in the 90's and has both an internal regulator and internal fans.  It was a serious redesign and puts out more current at idle than either the 1G or 2G do at full tilt.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Ok, looks like 1g in mine.   Do I test the voltage in standard method - across the battery terminals with everything running?  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's a good way to test.  The 1G is adequate for a truck with standard options, inc A/C.  But if you have the A/C and headlights on and the engine idling the alternator can't provide enough current to power them so the battery will make up the difference.  That's fine unless you do extensive idling or add other power-hungry devices like a large stereo amp or electric cooling fans.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm old enough to remember when ALL vehicles did these gyrations of lights dimming, slow signals, etc, depending on engine speed.   At least the truck has a big enough battery to not panic when you listen to the radio with the truck off.   Back in the day we did that a lot - wash the car with stereo blasting with windows up.  My new car gets in a panic if I try to listen to radio with car off - gives me constant WARNING messages.  

Usually when the sun goes down, it starts getting cool enough for windows down.  My preferred way of travel.  
Randy