Installing a Holley Sniper

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing a Holley Sniper

tanman
I'm pricing out converting my inline 6 to use a holley sniper. It currently has a Weber 2 barrel.

I noticed the huge thread by Rusty on his fuel injection adventure. Could I just buy a new tank and sending unit for a 92-96 model? This would provide the return lines. Are there any other parts needed for the fuel tank?

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Installing a Holley Sniper

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, Rusty's thread is a pup compared to mine.  And somewhere in there I discuss how I went with a mid-90's fuel system.  But, I doubt you want to read that whole thing to find it, so I'll try to condense it a bit.  

Yes, it is certainly possible to go with the later model tank(s).  I went with two and used the fuel delivery modules that go in them as well as the hoses that connect them.  The FDM's contain the pump, sending unit, and switching valves, and the lines are just wyed.  IOW, the supply lines wye together and the returns wye, and the switching valves in the FDM's prevent fuel from going into the wrong tank.

That works great and provides a good base for fuel injection, but there are a couple of minor issues.  First, the Bullnose electrical system has a ballast resistor that drops the voltage to the pumps a bit and you need to bypass that.  Second, the FDM sending units have a completely different resistance range from what the Bullnose gauges use, so you need some way to interface them and I used a MeterMatch.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by tanman
tanman wrote
I'm pricing out converting my inline 6 to use a holley sniper. It currently has a Weber 2 barrel.

I noticed the huge thread by Rusty on his fuel injection adventure. Could I just buy a new tank and sending unit for a 92-96 model? This would provide the return lines. Are there any other parts needed for the fuel tank?
You can, if you are retaining the OE cluster I would suggest going with the 85/86 fuel tank which is EFI as well.  The sender is calibrated for the 80 - 86 fuel gauge and will read correctly.  You can use the 87 and up but your gauge will read reverse.  It will read empty when full and full when empty.

For the sender youll have to source a in tank walbro pump and you can mount it in place of the low pressure lift pump and wire it up to the fuel pump power/ground wires as if it was the lift pump.

One thing you may want to consider going this route is possibly adding baffling to the tank as the OE 85/86 tanks do not have them.  The 5.0 Coyote swap I did years ago is running a plain 85/86 tank without baffling and he doesnt seem to complain about fuel slosh and stalling out/stumbling when below 1/2 a tank.  But me personally I am leaning towards breaking a couple pieces of sheet metal into a 90 and drilling holes in one leg and spot welding it to the tank on the inside at the end of the sump to try and create a restriction that will slow the fuel slosh down.

On the sniper I didnt install it but we installed one at work on a I6 and we used the 2bbl sniper and it worked great.  We did have to do some modifications to get it to work cause it was a feed back carb on that truck and some of the stuff had to be tweaked.  We also had to back date the ignition system as well on this truck as it was a TFI distributor on this truck and against my opposition the boss ordered one of those junky HEI units for the I6 and tossed it on.

On the tank what ever way you go, youll need a 3/8" to -6 AN quick disconnect fitting and a 5/16" to -6 AN quick disconnect fitting as the fittings on the sending unit is 3/8" for the feed side and 5/16" for the return side.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Well, Rusty's thread is a pup compared to mine.  And somewhere in there I discuss how I went with a mid-90's fuel system.  But, I doubt you want to read that whole thing to find it, so I'll try to condense it a bit.  

Yes, it is certainly possible to go with the later model tank(s).  I went with two and used the fuel delivery modules that go in them as well as the hoses that connect them.  The FDM's contain the pump, sending unit, and switching valves, and the lines are just wyed.  IOW, the supply lines wye together and the returns wye, and the switching valves in the FDM's prevent fuel from going into the wrong tank.

That works great and provides a good base for fuel injection, but there are a couple of minor issues.  First, the Bullnose electrical system has a ballast resistor that drops the voltage to the pumps a bit and you need to bypass that.  Second, the FDM sending units have a completely different resistance range from what the Bullnose gauges use, so you need some way to interface them and I used a MeterMatch.
Yep most of mine is just rambling on trying to get ideas out and possibly come up with some possible changes.  But I do still have quite a bit to do and document from coming up with baffling for the '85/'86 fuel tank and devising a way to create a plug and play adapter to convert the OE '80/'84 sending unit to the '85/'86 sending unit so I dont have to chop the wires and retain the ability to revert to OE if I ever desired to.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2