Injector Testing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Injector Testing

Aron
So While I'm Waiting For My Clutch I Think I've Narrowed Down My Cold Starting Issue To A Leaking Injector. Is There A Way To Test These Injectors Without The Machine? I've Looked Around Everywhere And Cant Find One.
"The Bearded Lady" 1986 F250 4x4 6.9IDI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Injector Testing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It wouldn't be easy to test an injector on your own.  The biggest issue is getting fuel to it, and the connection is via the fuel rail that is rigid.  So you'd essentially need another fuel rail and then cut off one of the connectors to use.  And then if you got fuel to it you'd have to have roughly the right pressure as too little pressure and it might not leak, and too much and it may leak even if it is good.

I think I'd buy a new injector.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it's not really practical to try to clean and test without a good setup and correct pressure supply if you are only doing one engine every few years. and if the tester showed a bad injector(s) then you'd be spending on the injectors too. I do a lot and replacing the injectors is common
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well The Problem Is That I Don't Know Which Diesel Injector It Is.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I would think you could find the bad injector with an infrared thermometer on the exhaust manifold.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
Well im trying to find a prime leak and I belive it is leaking injector, I just don't know which one(s) it is and that's what I am trying to find
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My bad, forgot that it was a leaking problem.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Aron
Not a problem it's good to know if I ever need it (which hopefully I won't lol)
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I tested a set of 8 for two different Chevy engines. One was a 1996 454 where they are buried inside the middle of the intake. The other was an LT1 350 Chevy. On the 454, once the top half of the intake was off you could see which ones were leaking by energizing the fuel pump and watching for which ones either sprayed or dribbled. On the LT1, 8 small glass jars, one under each injector with the sets pulled out and crank it then see if any were dry and any dribbled.

If your engine doesn't have the retaining clips for the injectors, many vehicles do and you should be able to find some.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413