Ill Fitting Aftermarket Parts.....ARGHHHH!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ill Fitting Aftermarket Parts.....ARGHHHH!

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Last week after installing some new headlights (More on headlights later), I noted that the upper and lower radiator trim on my truck looked a little ragged. I also noted that both front wheel well moldings had dents and dings in them and so I decided to replace those parts using NPD. LMG was out of stock on some items, so I just went with NPD.  

Yesterday, I had planned to put those parts on the truck starting with the wheel well moldings. Unfortunately, that did not happened due to the modifications required to get them to fit. First thing I had to do was cut recesses in the molding to provide clearance for the inner fender screws. Second thing, was the molding came with mounting holes that did not line up, so I had to drill new holes. And finally, as the front edge exceeded the length of the fender, I had to bend that over, which I did with the palm of my hand. They work and I'm good with them but dang that was a lot of time spent to get them to fit.

Today, had a lot of stuff I wanted to do and that included the grill trim. After about four hours of jacking with crap, I concluded that there is no way this stuff will fit my truck. Very frustrating!!! I went back to NPD today and looked again at the reviews and noted 5 stars on both these parts and I'm thinking either I got a bad batch or the people that left those are either bogus or content with very poor fitting parts. There is a concave horizontal radius in the parts that prevent it from lining up appropriately.  You can see that in my pictures. Anybody here replace these parts successfully?

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ill Fitting Aftermarket Parts.....ARGHHHH!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'd noticed the wheel well trim being dinged a fortnight ago.  But no, I've not replaced it so have no experience.  But it is a bummer that it fit that poorly!  

As for the grille trim, what are you going to do?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That one wheel Arch trim looks like it belongs on the back instead of the front.

Weird.   Could it have been mislabeled?

I've had to replace one front and one rear arch trim, and they fit well, but they were genuine Ford.

I would not use those ones you got myself. Especially if it does not fit right.

I've used Dennis Carpenter stuff with good results.

Good luck
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Good point on the wheel well trim possibly being the rear. Package said the front but I think I'll check that out. Where does one acquire Dennis Carpenter Parts?

Regardless, going to contact NPD and let them know about these. I buy a lot of stuff from NPD for my Mustang and they are typically very selective about what they sell.

The other thing that really miffs me is that I spent a lot of time blacking out the areas on the radiator trim to match my OEM parts. This included sanding, taping off, priming with epoxy primer followed by semi gloss paint.....what a waste of time and materials!!!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Machspeed wrote
Good point on the wheel well trim possibly being the rear. Package said the front but I think I'll check that out. Where does one acquire Dennis Carpenter Parts?
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/exterior/body-mouldings/e0tz-16038-a-osfront-fender-wheel-opening
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I know how that goes.  Reproduction parts that are from overseas seem to be the worlds worse at fitment.

But that doesn't mean domestically produced reproduction parts are much better.

Ive been having a ball trying to find a voltage regulator connector for a GR819 regulator, everything I find that says it fits does not fit as it is for the oval GR814 regulator connector not the rectangular GR819 regulator.  Even napa cant seem to get the right part either, for a 93-95 Crown Victoria they had the GR819 regulator nope only connector they swear fits that vehicle is the GR814 regulator connector.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to get out of the field cause nothing seems to be easy anymore and its getting just as bad with the replacement/reproduction market as well.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Machspeed wrote
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/exterior/body-mouldings/e0tz-16038-a-osfront-fender-wheel-opening
Sure looks like the right part! I sent an email out to NPD with pictures and they have responded. They are a great company so we'll see how this goes.

Thanks!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Keep Us Posted.

Just like a good mystery, we like to know, "Who Done it" so to speak.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I made my thoughts on my black grille from NPD known a few years ago here. It works, but the back of it was just absolutely ugly and obviously not a priority for whoever makes them. NPD is local to me so I also have bought many parts from them and I'm generally okay with what I buy, but when possible I've always bought the Dennis Carpenter repops that they sell and that has minimized my fitment issues.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
It's been some back and forth with a kindly gentleman from NPD whom I think doesn't know our trucks very well. I say this because I think he thinks the part that they sent me, the part that I ordered, is for an XLT. From what I can tell, they don't even sell the XLT trim. I also told him that the part that they sent me would no way fit an XLT.

Also, told me that the radiator trim molding did not fit because I didn't have the headlight buckets in??? I didn't get him pictures of that, just a single picture of the curve as it runs along the top of my grille, which I posted above. I think it obvious, based on the above picture, that it would not fit directly in my headlight buckets. The part has a bow to it that doesn't even run correctly with my grill.

As such, had to send more pictures and explanation on things and may have to pull all my OEM stuff back off again and take pictures of the ill fitting parts on my truck. I'm trying to be nice, as I've always liked the way this company has done business and have never had an issue with my Mustang parts. Moreover, if these parts don't fit my truck, they sure aren't going to fit others and I'd sure think they'd want to know about it.

I'll keep you's posted!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Sometimes it helps for a vendor to see that their product is being discussed, and not in a positive light, on the internet.  If I were you'd I'd send him a permalink of your post with the pics rather than just the pics.  That way he can see that the whole world is aware that their product does not fit.  Not just you.

We may not be the biggest forum for Bullnose trucks, but at 2000 members worldwide and with the best documentation, by far, we are well known.  So for us to be saying the NPD part doesn't fit carries some weight.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yeah, I thought about that Gary but don't want to come across as brash, angry, or threatening. I did stick my chest out there a little bit by saying I know these trucks well and am a moderator on this sight....LOL! I kind of feel a little regret in saying that. Thanks!    
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - I wasn't thinking you'd be brash, angry, or threatening.  Instead I was thinking something like:

I'm on a forum with a number of people who are very knowledgeable about these trucks.  I've posted some pics showing how your part(s) fit, and the gurus on the site agree - something isn't right.  So we'd like to help you figure out what the issue is because we need vendors like you who provide the parts we use to maintain/restore these trucks.

You can see my pics here, and follow the conversation further if you'd like.

That lets them know that you aren't "the voice of one crying in the wilderness", but that others who are into these trucks have looked at the pics and agree - there is a problem, Houston.  On the other hand, it lets them see that pics of how their part fits, or doesn't, is out there on the internet for everyone to see - without you saying so.  Plus, it tells them that we value them and want to work with them to get it right.

(But, it they do follow the conversation further they'll see this discussion, which is a reminder to always keep our comments positive.  Like "I'm positive there is an opportunity to resolve this issue."  )