Ignition timing not moving with RPMs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition timing not moving with RPMs

te4gan
I have been fiddling with my timing recently because I have been having issues where the timing moves backwards when you put it under higher RPMs and I would lose a lot of power. I could not figure out why. I put in a remanufactured distributor with new rotor, cap, and module.

Now, the timing does not advance or retard at all.... stays where I set it no matter how many RPMs.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum has had similar issues and I am looking for ideas/next steps.

Thank you in advance.
1986 F-150 4x4, 4.9L 300ci I6, 4 speed manual, long box
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition timing not moving with RPMs

1986F150Six
Administrator
Is the SPOUT wire connected?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, David.

Another issue could be that the system is limp-home mode.  If the computer senses that something isn't right it'll lock the timing and there will be no advance of any kind.

I'd pull the codes and see what is ailing it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I would think that improper timing at higher [that's funny, as we are talking about maybe 2500-3000 RPMs for a 4.9L, right?] RPMs would point to the MAP sensor or perhaps the computer, itself.
Reply | Threaded
|

te4gan
Hey guys,

Thank you for your responses. I have been extremely busy with college but I was able to dig around today.

The PO had the emissions control completely taken out. I am not sure why, but they did.

So with them taking that out, I found today that they decided to disconnect the power to the EEC-IV so that it would not notice the emissions control being gone.

I believe, and would like feedback if I am wrong, that this is what causing the issues with the timing advancing with higher RPMs. The computer was not on and therefore was not giving a signal to the distributor to advance.

I am trying to figure out my next options. Could I install a vacuum advance distributor, and keep the EEC-IV unplugged and be fine?

I also ran my code reader and the KOEO test did not finds any faults. The KOER ran 13, 41, 72, 73 but my buddy was giving it some gas while running code just to keep the engine alive. Engine ran perfectly fine while idling when the EEC-IV was unplugged.

I am wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any thoughts about what to do.
1986 F-150 4x4, 4.9L 300ci I6, 4 speed manual, long box
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you still have the feedback carburetor it will not have the correct mixture with the system not connected. The EEC-IV uses RPM, manifold vacuum, O2 sensor, coolant temperature, throttle position and EGR position to arrive at the proper mixture and timing and also controls the idle speed. Disabling part of it puts it into limp mode, where it will get you there, not efficiently though. If the EEC is connected, the timing connector by the distributor needs to be unplugged to check the basic timing otherwise the computer will keep moving it on you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by te4gan
te4gan wrote
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any thoughts about what to do.
Here is an old thread which will be beneficial to you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/966602-duraspark-ii-conversion-for-86-i-6-a.html
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by te4gan
No bueno then. No computer means no ignition timing change or carb mix control. You'll either have to piece it back together, set base timing (VERY IMPORTANT!), then power on the ECU. My 84 had the same thing (emissions present, ECU power removed, base timing set crazy advanced to "compensate" for the lack of timing control) and I didn't set (or even verify) base timing before powering up the ECU... and such didn't run well at all and such's pinging very well may have been what broke my upper compression rings (which forced a rebuild).

Alternatively, you could remove the system the rest of the way and convert to DSII like described above. That will give you a vacuum advanced distributor.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).