Ignition switch rod

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition switch rod

old55pete
I went out to start the Bronco this morning and got to a point between run and start and the whole thing just jambed up. I had the dash lights and the radio, but couldent turn it past that to start.

I pulled the steering wheel off and started to take the colum apart thinking that the accuatior had broken again. What I found was the rod between the accuatior and the ignition was bent over. I got the ignition switch off of the colum and took out the rod and strieghtend it out. I also found the ignition switch had come apart inside and was jambed. I replaced the switch and set it up by the book. It starts fine for thr first three or four times and the rod is bent  so much that it wont go to start.

I have found two numbers for the rod. I got the part number out of the documentation as being 11A559 and found no other refference to it. I googled that number and came up with the two numbers E0TZ-11A599-A and E7TZ-11A599-B

If my understanding is correct E =80's, 0= 1980, T = truck. All of that being said, this should be the part for my truck. The problum is that when you search that number, the part that it comes back to is the E7TZ. Anyone know if they are the same? The part number is for an 87. Did they replace the orignal with an 87 part number? The reason I ask is, I can get the E7 part all day long for under ten bucks plus shipping. The E0 number, I havent found yet.

Any sugestions?
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition switch rod

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your XLT has tilt wheel, correct?

I've got no optical reader for my MPC, but Gary should be able to tell you if E0 was replaced by E7.

Not to overstate the obvious, make sure 11A599 is correct for tilt.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We didn't have 11A599 shown in the parts #'s on the page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns, but we do now:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks Gary!

So evidently, no the early part is not RB.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Yes, I do have the tilt wheel, See that was the other thing I couldent figure out. All of the parts diagrams, for every colum showed the same part number for fixed or tilt 11A599. This has them with an "A" and "B" at the end, one for tilt and one for fixed.

Thank you Gary and Jim.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If you mean "replaced by", none of the parts show to have been replaced by anything else  And the -A version is for fixed columns and -B for tilt/adjustable columns.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
Yes, I do have the tilt wheel, See that was the other thing I couldent figure out. All of the parts diagrams, for every colum showed the same part number for fixed or tilt. This has them with an "A" and "B" at the end, one for tilt and one for fixed.

Thank you Gary and Jim.
I'm not sure what diagrams you mean, but Ford's diagrams only have the generic part number on them.  Not the complete part number. You have to go to the Text section of the MPC to get the complete part number.  In other words, a diagram for a tilt column will show 11A599, as will a diagram for a fixed column.

To explain, the generic part number of 11A599 is good for every Rod (Ignition Switch Actuating) used on every Ford vehicle of any kind produced any where in the world.  But if you stick the prefix of E0TZ in front of it you know it was first used in 1980 on a light duty truck.  And add -A behind E0TZ 11A599 and you know it fits all 1980 - 86 F-Series trucks and Broncos with fixed wheels.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes sir....Correct! And again thank you. I guess I know now what I will be looking for in the morning.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I find it odd that Dorman 83280 shows as fitting '81-'92 with tilt.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-9625-83280.aspx

Maybe they've done something to make it more universal?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Oh, I see now you want the rod, and not the actuator that always breaks.

Sorry, I'm easily confused.  

ETA: I do wonder what caused it to break even with a new switch installed.
Do you think straightening it put a crack in it?
I know when the really cold days of winter come my switch gets stiff to turn and sluggish to return because some grease or something. But since I don't grease it I'm beginning to think the plastic itself contracts making for a tight fit.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Jim, The rod hasent broken yet. But after putting in a new ignition switch that is smooth and free moving, it bends over again in the same place as it was bent before, after three or four uses.

I am gonna say that it had been flexing in that same spot for a while and got weak there.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Unfortunately I don't seem to see that p/n at any of the usual places like NOS LTD, or Back Counter.

Might try Green Sales.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Jim, like you, I thought the actuator had broken again. I found all of the parts at the local NAPA. Turn signal switch, ignition switch, lock cylinder and actuator. I got the rest of the stuff because if you have to take it out and it's 35 years old, you might as well go back with new. I have the new upper bearing coming as well.

I could see from the wear mark on the top of the colum, that the rod was supposed to be streight so I used a hammer and the flat part on the back of a vice and streightened it out and put it back in. I am guessing that it has lost it's temper in that spot and keeps bending there in the same place it was bent in before.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Jim thanks for the heads up on Green Sales, they said that they did not have it. The guy also said that they send their inventory to Back Counter three an week.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
IM not having any luck finding that rod on the internet so I just sent an E-mail to MYRL883 to see if he has one in his system anywhere.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Sent an E-mail to MYRL883 and got this back

To:you Details
This is the mail system at host n8.nabble.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<myrl883@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.166.27] said:
    550-5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from cs.com is not accepted due to
    domain's 550-5.7.26 DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of
    cs.com domain if 550-5.7.26 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
    550-5.7.26  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about
    the 550 5.7.26 DMARC initiative. k30si261174wrd.3 - gsmtp (in reply to end
    of DATA command)
Sir, I hate to bother you, I noticed that through your job that you have been able to find obsolete parts sitting on other dealers shelves. I was wondering if you could give a look for a E0TZ-11A599-B when you have a spare moment.

Thank you for your time
Steve
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I sent him an email with a link to here.  Let's see what happens.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Thank you sir.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I did find a rod at Steering coloum services www.steeringcolumnservices.com. These folks have a bunch of parts that are hard to find like the tilt joint ( both sides) and the tilt pivot pins the young lady that I worked with knew the different part numbers off of the top of her head.

A little on the spendie side, but they had what I needed.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good!  Glad you found one.