Ignition switch rod.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition switch rod.

Ifitaintbroke
I know this has been discussed before, but I don't remember where.

Solution? And what is it called?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition switch rod.

Ifitaintbroke
Nevermind. Found it. But I will ask: Has anyone used the Dorman 83280? Does it hold up well? I'm not very happy with Ford right now as I barely touched the thing and it broke.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
at this time having the Dorman available seems to be as good as it gets. I myself have not found another option and the ones I have dealt with all seemed to be comparable anyway. one exception is that I sourced a tilt column a couple years ago and when I restored it, I found that the intermediate link (not fords name) was made of brass and not the typical zinc-based alloy. it is the only one I have seen personally. I normally have a couple dormans in stock as I do need to repair columns now and then. I very much prefer the std column for the simplicity and I never use my tilt columns tilted anyway. it just fits me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I'm just going to find a non-tilt column and be done with it. I hate tilt columns anyway.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Ifitaintbroke wrote
I'm just going to find a non-tilt column and be done with it. I hate tilt columns anyway.
Maybe that's an easier route?

In my case, can't say I hate tilt (I really appreciate it in my car and SUV), but I much prefer Big Bro's "truck" straight drive column feeling.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue’s column wouldn’t always get the starter to spin, so knowing that I’d be hoisting myself in via the column since the truck is so tall I swapped to a non-tilt column. I didn’t want to chance being in the back of beyond and not being able to start it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
My tilt column also has a good bit of slop in it. So, I'm going to El Junkyardo in a bit to pull one from an 87 F150.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have known so many to pull themselves in by the wheel. and let's be honest guys. not all of us truck drivers are a svelte 180lbs. not criticizing, just saying that a little bit of zinc-based hardware might not be enough after a few years.  a good friend years ago had a nice 86 bronco and he was twice my size easily and used his this way but he also tilted the wheel all the way up after turning off the truck and always dropped it almost to the bottom everytime right before putting it in gear. like a habit. it was the sloppiest wheel assembly that I ever knew to still work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
TJ’s Lil Blue has a tilt column and it is SLOPPY!  No way I want that. I’m happy with my non-tilt column that has no slop and doesn’t break.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI