Ignition switch pin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition switch pin

Mark
I'm having an issue getting my engine to turn over using the key. I had changed my ignition switch a couple weeks back and it didn't make any difference. So I started chasing wires. I can cross the post on the starter relay and it will turn over. I chased back to the neutral safety switch, only to find that the harness was missing and it had been jumped around under the dash (great job to the previous owner 🙄) I have power showing per my meter at the relay when key is on and none when key is off, so for now I think the southern ingenuity used to jump the NSS will suffice.

Back to the first part of "I changed my ignition switch a couple of weeks ago" admittedly I'm learning ford mechanics with this truck. Aaaaaand I wish I had looked at the documentation for the ignition switch on this site PRIOR to changing it out, because I didn't know to leave the lock pin in until after I had the actuator rod in place....is that correct?  I removed it, fit the rod in, bolted everything back in, plugged in the harness and that's it.

So my question is, tomorrow when I start working on it again, should I go back and insert the pin and start over with the switch replacement?
1984, f150 short bed straight six AOD.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition switch pin

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should be able to pull the battery's positive lead, pull the link from the key tumbler to the switch, and slide the switch around to get the pin through - without pulling the switch off.  Then go through the rest of the procedure to set it up.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
Thanks Gary, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Worked like a charm 👍 had a bad starter relay as well. She's turning over with the key now. Small steps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI