classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition resistor wire temp

Andre
Good morning,

As we were about to have a USA car show in Holland, I made some additional changes to the wiring connectors I made in the engine bay of the Bronco.
After completion I drove it some, and checked the connector etc, at that time I noticed the cable harnas becoming warm, and inside under the dash, the red/green resistor wire becoming very hot, to a point that it could not be kept between my fingers.
Most likely it has always been this way, as I did not change anything else than just the wire connectors.
Brown/purple wire and Red/Green resistor wire are still connected the same, as were they connect together in the harnas.
My question to this would be, how hot does this wire will get under normal conditions, as I am under the impression that mine is to hot.
Alternator is regulated to 14.3 volts when running, ignition coil is around 8 volts when running.

Maybe I can remove the resistor wire with the MSD ready to run distributor and new ignition coil I have, but will have to verify with the supplier.

Hope someone can give me the answer, as I felt a little scared to drive it like this.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition resistor wire temp

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The only other time I recall that wire discussed is Matt Wood, concerned that it could start a fire.   http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

If your MSD ignition/coil should have a constant 12V it would make sense to bypass the ignition resistor wire.
Gary has included the schematic in the linked thread.
I'm not sure what (if anything) Matt did with his truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback, interesting subject it was.

I got information from the supplier of the MSD distributor and coil, its not a problem to use 12 volt, including charging power to the units. I will replace the resistor wire from the ignition switch to the connector in the engine compartment, or connect the brown/pink wire at the iginition switch, prevent to run an entire cable.

Regards
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect they are using the GM HEI ignition module, although I don't see that they really tell us.  But the reason that is important is that the HEI module is a current hog.  I would use #10 or at least #12 wire through a relay to the distributor and use the existing ignition wire to pull the relay in.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Looks like that blue wire in the foreground could use a little attention as it may have been the recipient of a scotchlok previously.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio