classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition lock gets harder with cold

BigBrother-84
Hi gentlemen,

Reading at Rene’s recent thread, I realize it’s been a while that I wanted your opinion.
I just forget about it during warm seasons, and now the problem is coming back with the next winter approaching.

The ignition key gets harder to turn as the weather gets cold.
I suspect I should lubricate “something” (the key lock? the switch?), but not sure what to use.

Any advice?

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition lock gets harder with cold

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know right where to send you 'cause I went to the same page for Rene: Steering Columns & Steering Wheels.  There you'll see this:

There are two common problems with these columns.  The first is one that plagues both those with and w/o tilt, and that is dry or gummed up lubrication in the key tumbler (#11582) and/or the actual ignition switch (#11572).  The resolution to this is discussed on the Ignition Switch page in the EVTM.

HOWEVER, the link to the Ignition Switch page in the EVTM just takes you to the forum, and I'm not seeing what I'm looking for in any of the EVTMs.  So go to Page 13-06-8 of the Factory Shop Manual that's on that tab for instructions.

I'd lube the tumbler and then, if that doesn't do it, pull the ignition switch itself and lube it.  And for instructions on that go to Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Switch tab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
I'd lube the tumbler and then, if that doesn't do it, pull the ignition switch itself and lube it.
Ok, I’ll pull out the lock cylinder and see how I can lube it.
With some lubricant that won’t jam under cold weather…

Pretty sure it’s not the sliding switch itself, since I changed it not so long ago (the original one was seriously beginning ro rust and was really really dirty).

We’ll see, thanks Gary.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Job done!

Pulled out the lock cylinder and cleaned it thoroughly with WD40.
Then blowed it with pressure air and lubed it with Silicon WD40.

My advice:  While you’re there, do the same with the actuator.  Mine was almost jammed by old grease in its “tunnel”, was hard to slide in.
In my case, cleaning the lock cylinder only was half the required fix.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the tip.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI