If your Bullnose has AC, READ THIS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

If your Bullnose has AC, READ THIS

86 1/2 Brutus
I've noticed that the air blowing out from the discharge vents on the dash, has not been blowing as hard as it did before.  So with the truck running and the ac on, i climbed underneath it and ran my hand along the bottom of the eveperator box and i felt ice cold air blowing out from just about everywhere underneith the evaperator box.  Turns  out that Brutus's gaskets have started to crack and leak air, go figure, there only since 1986.  so i stuffed the gap around the evap box with roofing putty tape. ( i'm not sure if this is what its called, its that grey stuff used to seal metal roofs)  this helped alot dashboard vents are blowing hard again, but then i started to think whats going to happen to the water that forms on the evep inside the box.  i've looked through all the literature in the manual from ford, and on this forum and nothing is said about a condensation drain hole, or tube.  so at the very bottom of the evap box i removed a little bit of the putty tape.  water came gushing out and the ac had only been running for about 5 minutes.  I'm afraid to think of what would havehappened if i hadn't done this.  there is a  hose that goes from the blower moter into the evap box which keeps the blower motor cool.  i'd hate to think that a buildup of water could get sucked up into themotor itself or the resistor.   so if you decide to seal your evap box, leave a little opening at the very bottom where it comes to a point, i know some cool air will come out but it will also blow out water.  ill do some more research and try to figure out where the condensate drain should be.  if anybody knows please give me a shout.  im thinking of a drip hose with a u shape in it   this hose may let water drain and the goosneck should keep the cold air from cominng out.  i know thats how they do it in home hvac.                      
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: If your Bullnose has AC, READ THIS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: If your Bullnose has AC, READ THIS

mat in tn
yes, on home air conditioning there is supposed to be a "trap" it is installed in line at the condensation drain to keep air from being drawn in or blown out (depending on the model) this is because water will not reliably flow through an opening that too much air flows through. it's a "shared space" issue. more modern cars have a built in drain to allow drip under car. however, I'm sure there is a certain spot that bullnose trucks have also. when reassembling ac boxes, I use a type of "rope caulk" that stays pliable without being as sticky as the oem tar yet forms to the recess very well. don't use anything that is adhesive!