classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

INFLUENTIAL AMERICAN ENGINES THAT CHANGED CARS FOREVER

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought you guys might like this article: INFLUENTIAL AMERICAN ENGINES THAT CHANGED CARS FOREVER 

I particularly liked that the 289 Windsor gets a different entry than the 5.0.  And the statement that "...Ford`s 5.0 EFI engine, which was produced from 1986 to 1993..." had me rolling on the floor.

And the Iron Duke and the Slant Six are higher in the list than the Windsor?

But I think the best statement is "Based on an old 385 V8 engine, the 460 was thoroughly re-engineered with future fuel and emissions regulations in mind."

Who writes this stuff?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: INFLUENTIAL AMERICAN ENGINES THAT CHANGED CARS FOREVER

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can read Vukasin Herbez's profile on Hemmings.
He's a Serbian automotive blogger whose LinkedIn shows him as faculty at a law school.
And 500 or so posts on Motor Junkie

I imagine there's something lost in translation...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, maybe it is the translation that is the problem.  

At least he didn't list all of the early engines in liters like the Brit writers usually do.  So I'll give him that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
I wonder which "old" 385 engine the 460 was based off of?  LOL.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I can see writing in units that 99% of the world understand.  
Why don't Americans denote displacement in gallons and ounces???  

Neglecting that enlarging the performance 289 to 302ci principally came about because of a five liter displacement rule and Ford's determination to dominate European racing after the spat with Ferrari.
This summary might have been written by Chat GPT.

Not including the Model T's inline 4 in a list of 'American engines that changed cars forever' seems very odd.
You would think a 20 year production run of over 15 million vehicles would count for something...

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The one that jumped out at me was the "iron Duke", it was the 1962 Chevy II 4 cyl updated and metric listed, Basically 2/3 of a Chevy in-line 6, originally 153 ci based on the new for 1962 230 ci 6 replacing the by then totally antique 235 ci 6.

I did catch my other "Shelby designed" package, the 2.2L Chrysler turbo is a Turbo II engine with intercooler, same one that is in my Lebaron convertible.

Maybe on the 460, they were thinking of the old MEL engines? the 460 head bolt pattern is quite close to those and they were torque monsters, also the first production V8 to hit 400 HP in the 1958 Mercury Marauder using 3 2 barrel Holley carbs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I particularly liked that the 289 Windsor gets a different entry than the 5.0.  And the statement that "...Ford`s 5.0 EFI engine, which was produced from 1986 to 1993..." had me rolling on the floor.
I think the author was specifically referring to the popular 5.0L EFI that was found in the 1986 - 1993 Fox-body Mustang.  Which, to be fair, is when that engine had the highest output numbers:  

Along with Chevrolet`s small block from the Corvette and the Camaro, Ford`s 5.0 EFI engine, which was produced from 1986 to 1993, is credited as the engine that saved American performance and muscle cars in the ’80s.

The real question is, WHERE IS THE AMC 4.0L I-6?  

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
It would be too time consuming to list everything wrong with this article. I don't think the numbered format resembles any sort of order, considering you got the LS and SBC near the beginning and the Blackwing at the end.

These kinds of articles are obviously for the most pedestrian of car enthusiasts (or literal pedestrians) but they make me wonder what kind of journalist is producing them. Do they think they know what they're talking about, or is this just another number to put on a resume, or are they in a journalism sweatshop overseas?
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I kinda think he is just phoning in articles about American cars that would have very rarely been seen in the Balkans.

There's a lot of "Top 20" (30, 40, 50...) type lists that could easily be scraped from Wikipedia.

But clicks = revenue, so he's made a few bucks off this thread already.  
 Jim,