ICVR and MeterMatch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ICVR and MeterMatch

Sac79
So my gauges are dodgy... The oil pressure gauge has stopped working, the coolant temp gauge is temperamental and the fuel level is consistent, but shows empty at half a tank...

My plan is to do Gary's ICVR upgrade, because why not at $30. I'll replace the oil pressure sensor, or at least order another just in case(since it might not be the ICVR). I have a spare gauge to swap in, same goes for the temperature gauge(as the needle on the current one is bent, which might be the cause of it's issues).

And then hopefully the MeterMatch sorts out the fuel gauge.

My question is, the MeterMatch does not negate the need for a working ICVR, correct? I assume not, since I plan on only using it for the fuel gauge, but my understanding is I could use it for the pressure and temp if I wanted to calibrate those differently?
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ICVR and MeterMatch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob - I don't think the Metermatch is going to fix your problem.  It just corrects for any mismatch between the sending unit and the gauge.  For instance, the 1987 and later sending units have a completely different and backwards ohm range to the Bullnose gauges, and the Metermatch handles that.  But it won't make up for a bad sending unit, and that may be what you have if it shows empty at half a tank and then comes back on as the fuel level goes down.

And I'm not sure you need an ICVR replacement, although it sure won't hurt.  But if your gas gauge is consistent save for the hole in the middle then the ICVR may be working ok.

The ICVR serves all three gauges, so if it goes bad then all three should do the same thing.  For instance, I've seen all three go to full scale for a minute or two and then come back to normal.  And I've seen all three quit at the same time.  In both of those cases it was a bad ICVR.  But if you have one gauge working normally, save for a bad spot in the middle, then the ICVR is working.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
The fuel gauge shows full when it should, then steadily drops to empty when it's about half, then continues to drop to below empty and stays there...

And yes, I probably don't need a new ICVR, but I might as well. I do have a spare though. I'll sleep on it...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A new, and better, ICVR won't hurt.  But from what you've said about the fuel gauge I don't think it will help that.

You do know that the fuel, oil pressure, and coolant temp gauges are the same?  So you can wire the fuel sending unit to the oil pressure gauge or the water temp gauge for testing.  Or the oil pressure or water temp sending units to the fuel gauge.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
 I'll report back after some fault finding...
Rob