I want to add a tach - need opinions, factory or aftermarket?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I want to add a tach - need opinions, factory or aftermarket?

Sparky
I plan to add a tach to my truck. It's got the typical blank spot over the steering column. I like the idea of a factory tach from a used instrument cluster but I've heard that many of them are not too accurate or may not work at all. I'd hate to buy a cluster and find out it has a non-working tach. Hopefully I'd be able to return it but even if it works, how do I know it's accurate? The alternative would be an aftermarket, probably mounted on the steering column. Any opinions on which way to go?
Steve
1986 F-150 XLT Lariat long bed, 2WD, 302 EFI, AOD, 3.55, dual tanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I want to add a tach - need opinions, factory or aftermarket?

grumpin
I like the factory tach in my truck. Accuracy? I don’t know, never checked. I think it’s close.

If I was going aftermarket, I always liked the Sun tachs, which are no longer made. So I’ve had good results from Equus on gauges so I’d probably go with this one. I guess I’m old school, just like the way they look.

https://www.iequus.com/6078.html
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree with Dane - I like the factory tachs.  When I got Big Blue it had a huge tach that obscured part of the speedo strapped to the steering column.  I removed it and added a factory tach.  Not too worried how accurate it is, but it works well.

Steve - You are lucky that Ford discontinued the idiot lights for '86, so we know you have gauges.  And that is important as you can only add a tach to the gauge cluster, and on the trucks with gauges have the right wiring.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
Well, I guess I'll pull the trigger on a gauge cluster. I've been reading up on it so I know I should already have the wiring for it, and the new cluster will have the ribbon cable so I think that is all I will need. Thanks!
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by grumpin
I was lucky a member found a used one with the printed board for me.
It worked and still dose when installed.

Accuracy? I also don’t know as I never checked it.
I like that it moves as it should and it fills that blank area.
I dont really use it for anything like shifting.

I would say go for stock as the after market ones tend to block the other gauges in most cars / trucks.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Sparky
I have actually checked the factory tach against my digital timing light, and the RPM's were bang on the money at least up to 2500 RPM or so (as far as we checked). I was doing some timing checks and we checked it in increments from idle all the way to 2500 or 2750, I forget now.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
Good to know. Hopefully they are mostly accurate since I just bought a cluster.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm late, but 2 weeks ago, I bought a 3" Equus and mounted to the column.  With zip ties currently.  I come from a long line of column mounted tach people, so this works and throws back to the days.  My son now thinks it is a proper hot rod.

It's wired in neatly.  Just looks like roadkill with the zip ties.   Seems to work correctly.   3" covers the blank spot nicley without overlapping the speedo or being too small.   I don't remember the rotate process on photos, so just turn your head sideways, please.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
That's a good option. It looks good and it doesn't block the other gauges.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
A problem with a column mounted tach is that you won't be able to see the shift selector for your AOD.
I'm using a factory tach with my C6. I also checked it against the readout on my timing light and it seems pretty accurate.
I had heard that the factory tachs like to sometimes stick in the cold. I opened mine up and cleaned all the old yellowing goo from the circuit board with some rubbing alcohol before installing it and I've never had any issues with it sticking even at deep-freeze temperatures.
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
I forgot about the shift selector. It would definitely block that. Anyway, I'm going with the factory tach. Already shipped.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I checked my standard 6K factory tach as well as a couple medium duty 4K and 4.5K tachs (on my straight six with the 8 lug insulated). I compared them to a tach/dwell meter, and they were all really close.

The older, non-integrated circuit units seem to have more issues with sticking in cold weather or infrequent use, the later (late ‘85/86) with integrated circuits have fewer issues. That said I’m running an old, non-integrated circuit 4,500 rpm unit in my 81 and it has been smooth and accurate for about 4 years now.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
Then I'm lucky that the one I ordered is an '86.
Steve