I'm the new guy!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I'm the new guy!

Mushrat79
Hey guys!  Happy to have found ya'll.  Just bought a 1986 F150 XLT (RWD) and wanted to find a knowledgeable community for sharing ideas and such.  The old girl has 90k miles on her 351W/C6.  I feel you, for $1200 I think she was a steal.  Drive home, about 65 miles, was a pretty easy ride, although the steering was a bit loose.  I also noticed that the steering column seems tilted to the left, which is a bit strange.  Hopefully that's not a complete nightmare haha.

As it is she's pretty drivable, but if course I intend on doing a restomod in her.  Aiming for about a 350hp point, maybe about 450-500 lbs torque.  Later some bucket seats, 40/20/40 with a middle console and a very minimum drop of about an inch or two.  Nothing crazy,  just some mild customization.

Oh, and very likely the rear end gears lol.  Not much scoot in her yet.

Anyway, how all of you are doing great and I look forward to talking with ya'll!!!Screenshot_20210515-195154_Facebook.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I'm the new guy!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

However, you missed the email that asked you to post in the New Members Start Here folder to introduce yourself.  The reason is that we have our guidelines posted there and want to ensure everyone has had a chance to see them 'cause we hold everyone to them.  So, please assure me that you have?

And, where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and could add you if we had a city/state or zip.

As for the truck, let's post that pic here for all to see.  (You might want to review the how-to on posting pics on the Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's page.)

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I'm the new guy!

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Mushrat79
The steering columns from 1980 to 1991 are angled slightly to the left due to the steering box location related to the cab and dash. Ford used two different steering box locations through 1979, 2WD models it was behind the front axles, 4WD models it was all the way up front with a drag link to the left spindle/hub assembly.

To my knowledge there isn't an easy if any way to correct this. When Ford changed the body in 1992, they went to a stub column that is shared with cars (just uses different attachments for different applications).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413