I'm magazine famous!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I'm magazine famous!

Nothing Special
A while back Four Wheeler magazine had an editorial titled "Old 4x4s For The Win!"  I wrote in response, and today in the mail I got the November 2021 issue that printed my letter a well as 4 pictures I included!

I couldn't find it on their web site, but if anyone subscribes to Four Wheeler, check out page 8!

The gist of the original editorial was that he likes driving old 4x4s, even if they don't have all of the modern amenities and are more likely to strand him.  The gist of my response was that I daily drive a '97 F-250 and a '71 Bronco, and don't think they are any more likely to strand me on an interstate road trip than most newr vehicles.

Anyway, it was fun to see myself in print, and I thought I'd share.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I'm magazine famous!

ctubutis
Congratulations, Bob!

If there were a Like button, I'd push it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Oh, you got to get pics and post here so we can read it!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I don't know about posting a picture of a copyrighted magazine.  But I can certainly post a copy of what I sent them.  They cropped the pictures a bit, but otherwise published what I sent:

I’m a bit behind in my magazine reading so I just read your “Firing Order” column in the November 2020 issue of Fourwheeler.  In that column you asked for reader’s stories about old 4x4s.

Like you, I like old vehicles.  I’ll even go farther and say that I don’t like new vehicles.  I don’t like how my dad’s 2020 Honda Pilot aims the rearview mirrors at the ground when you shift into reverse.  I don’t like how my wife’s 2018 Jeep Renegade won’t shut the engine off unless you are in “Park”, and how it automatically applied the parking brake when you open a door.

Not liking new vehicles means that I drive old ones, and plan to for as long as I possibly can.  My current daily driver is a 1997 F-250HD crew cab.  It’s rusty and the 460 sucks gas.  But before we bought a motorhome for vacations a couple years ago I was never concerned about putting the slide-in camper in the pickup, hooking my Bronco behind and driving anywhere across the country on a family vacation.  Yeah, it doesn’t have a nav system or a way to warn me if there’s something in the lane next to me.  But maps and rearview mirrors have been meeting those needs for decades and they still work just fine.

My other old 4x4 is the 1971 Bronco I just mentioned.  It has a lot of modifications, and I do like the additions of more modern power front disk brakes, power steering and electronic ignition.  But it’s still running a manual transmission and a carb.  And while I don’t drive it in the salt of Minnesota winters, I do daily-drive it through the summer.  And last year I even hopped into it with just my dog, on Friday drove 600 miles to southern Missouri, ‘wheeled all day Saturday and Sunday morning, and then Sunday afternoon/evening drove the 600 miles back home.  I wasn’t worried about it stranding me.  Sure, it could’ve.  But a new vehicle can strand you too, and my Bronco isn’t really any riskier in that sense.

(By the way, when I drove to Missouri last year I met up with a group of other people.  Out of the 12 vehicles in the group my ~50 year old Bronco was the third newest!  Most of the others were flatfender Jeeps from the ‘40s!)

Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - That's a cool story and well deserves to be written up in the magazine!  Congratulations!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
A great read and great pics. Thank you for sharing.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Great Read! And man, I love that Bronco! Afraid I'm gonna have to settle for a new one, though....LOL!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner