I like the Bricky a lot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I like the Bricky a lot

RenoHuskerDu
I must confess that I like a lot about Brickies.
The dash is easily disassembled and the plastic holds up well in our Brickies so far.
I fixed the problem below in about 15 minutes, pulled the screen off, glued the cap on.
The interior feels a little more open, and the dash has a spot for stuff on top.
The ride is smoother, comparing with our F250 Bully vs F250 Bricky, both are 4x2.
Ford seems to have improved sound deadening, comparing Lariat to Lariat.
The brakes are considerably more responsive, as is the steering.
The 7.3 IDI has wonderful torque and comes with a ZF5 (we put one in our Bully).
The steering column is just as strong as a Bully.
Bricky headlights are surprisingly good with LED bulbs in there.
Galvanized body. We have numerous spots with paint rubbed off, no rust. Only late Bullies have that.

Things I don't like about Brickies:
The looks. That blocky front end is just hard to love.
The hood latch bends my fingers. Why did Furd change from the perfect Bully location?
The door panels are no better than Bullies. Maybe worse.
The top radiator surround is plastic but the Bully's is sturdy metal.

I used to think the perfect Bully would be an Aeronose with Bully front clip, like my son is building. But now that I know about the Taurus steering column in the Aeronose, I think the perfect Bully would be a Bricky with a Bully front clip. I would also double the floorpan sheet metal, because both our Bully and Bricky had cracks we had to weld up. Thanks for reading this far.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I like the Bricky a lot

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting observations.  Some I agree with, others I know nothing about.  But I emphatically agree about the looks.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
This post was updated on .
Bricknoses used to be a bargain. I got this one for $4k, 104k on the clock.

Those days are over.  A running clean Bricky is right up there with a Bully now, almost.
And the condition of the Bullnoses I see for sale is generally rough.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I had a 1988 F250 with the 7.3 IDI and ZF5. Funny, I thought it looked fine. Until I got my Bullnose.

I agree, very blocky. I have seen some with chrome (fake chrome I assume) grilles or bull bars that improve the looks.

I liked the dash and instrument panel as well. The ride I’m not sure, I think the bull and the brick are about the same, both were 4WD’s.

I had a 1994 F250 with a 460 and E4OD also 4WD. The PO (my old boss) had the extra leaf installed in the front, man, that was rough! I used to joke that when you went across ruts in the winter, you had to reach down and get your teeth off the floor.

I see a brick for sale once in awhile I wouldn’t mind having, but the prices of used vehicles is getting stupid.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My F350 is a bricknose, but the only bricknose things about it are the frame, cab, map pockets, seat belt mounts, half of the steering column, lower steering shaft, battery tray, brake master cylinder, wiper motor, cowl, transfer case, and rear axle. Everything else is bullnose including the dash, door panels, a/c box, engine, transmission, core support, fenders, hood, bed, tailgate, grille, etc. It looks just like a bullnose unless you really look for the things that weren't worth changing (seat belt mounts, wiper motor, etc). I also have an aeronose front axle and seat in the truck.

I personally noticed no differences in the multiple bricknose and bullnose trucks I've ridden in or driven. The Aeronose trucks are a different story for the most part, although there are some similarities.