I Think I Am Going to Sell My Truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I Think I Am Going to Sell My Truck

Ray Cecil
Depending on what you are wanting for it. I may sell my Impala and save the cash on the side to be ready with cash. Lucille would look pretty good sitting in my garage next to Little Blue.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Yes, she would.  

Lucille is a completed restoration.  She needs nothing and there are no surprises.  I am not going to sell it to someone who is only looking for a "deal."  

Back when I had it professionally painted in 2016, Grundy appraised it at $26K, and that was before I even finished putting the interior in!
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's where we need a resident "historian" on here.  Someone who will track the selling prices for these trucks over time so we can properly price what we have - in case we want to sell.

It would require said someone to develop or use existing categories of quality.  I think Hemmings has categories of 0 - 5.  Unfortunately some of the categories out there are for judging cars with regard to originality, and many of our trucks are not completely original.  So there would have to be work done to determine reasonable categories.

And then it would take watching ebay, craigslist, etc to record details about when the vehicle sold, the final price, time on the market, etc.  And the "time on the market" information is crucial as some vehicles are so special that it takes finding just the right person to buy them, and that can take time.  But if we knew what the vehicle is really worth then maybe we would hold onto it until the right person came along.

Any takers?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
Thank you, gentlemen.  I will consider all of your thoughts and opinions.  Should I decide to sell, I like the idea of Lucille going to someone here on the board.

Does anyone here have FOUR vehicles?
Guilty!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
About 12 or so vehicles here..
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
LARIAT 85 wrote
....  Does anyone here have FOUR vehicles?
I'm down to four now (I don't think I've ever been above six)
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
LARIAT 85 wrote
Yes, she would.  

Lucille is a completed restoration.  She needs nothing and there are no surprises.  I am not going to sell it to someone who is only looking for a "deal."  

Back when I had it professionally painted in 2016, Grundy appraised it at $26K, and that was before I even finished putting the interior in!
I fully understand the blood sweat tears and $$ involved in restoring the truck. Not long ago, there was a truck on here called "Big Blackie". Guy had $40,000 or $50,000 in receipts on the thing. It was on ebay and it sold for $15,000. With I think only a couple of bidders. It was on eBay again this week. Not sure if it sold yet.

So, with that said, and don't take it the wrong way, its only worth what someone is willing to pay. I doubt very seriously that your truck would bring what Big Blackie brought on eBay round #1. Your truck is as nice, but his was outfitted a lot more.

That being said....I think you should keep Lucille if you can. I'd be honored to get a chance at owning Lucille, and I am not "looking for a deal". However, I wouldn't pay more than what the current market would bring for it. I'm just being honest and up front about it.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I am familiar with Big Blackie.  I agree with you in that it was "outfitted" a lot more and was a very nice truck.  

But I will say this in all sincerity and with no disrespect intended:  Lucille is a better truck with a much better restoration in many ways.  I think it should absolutely bring more than what Big Blackie did.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
LARIAT 85 wrote
.....But I will say this in all sincerity and with no disrespect intended:  Lucille is a better truck with a much better restoration in many ways.  I think it should absolutely bring more than what Big Blackie did.
I agree its of higher quality. I hope you get more.

Count me out of the running at more than blackie though. Id buy blackie first because I could fit the whole family in it. I like the stance of blackie. A lifter bullnose looks means as hell to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Any takers?
Im too young, too many things to do. Aint got time fo dat.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Here's where we need a resident "historian" on here.  Someone who will track the selling prices for these trucks over time so we can properly price what we have - in case we want to sell.
Actually, there was a truck almost identical to Rick's that sold recently, and I believe it was in the Southeast somewhere also...SC or GA maybe. Did anybody see this one? It was even red too...

I don't know how I could even find it now, but I'm pretty sure it sold...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Another reason for the "sales historian" - being able to find the info when we need it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Rembrant
There was one not too far from me that was all original, very low miles, minor restoration work just to spiff up bolt heads and rubbers. I think it was under 40,000 original documented miles. I asked him what he got for it and he said $13,000. That was last year sometime. I would have eaten off the engine, it was as close to perfect as I have ever seen. I havent seen anything that I can remember, that went for more than Blackie at $15,000. But, values are increasing.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
A [non-lifted, standard cab] 1985 F150 Lariat very similar to mine went over $26K a couple of years ago:

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-f-150-survivor.htm

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
LARIAT 85 wrote
A [non-lifted, standard cab] 1985 F150 Lariat very similar to mine went over $26K a couple of years ago:

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-f-150-survivor.htm
Thats awesome! I had not seen that.  Beautiful truck.

Going to take more than an average joe like me to spend that kinda dough. Good luck!