Howdy to the group!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Howdy to the group!

Jaydog
I'll hit it again...I mean...tap it again a few times. I did that already and then sprayed a half a can of carb cleaner in every port and orifice I could find. I'm hoping just swapping out the carb will fix this. I don't think I'm ready to convert this to the older style ignition thingy. Hell, I'm still using pliers to get it to crank!
Jay, but my friends call me...Jay.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you are so inclined, you could pull it down yourself using the instructions here: Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Carter YFA 1bbl.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
So, what are the odds that this is just a completely gummed up carb? I'm willing to swap it out for a new one, even keeping the feedback crap on it. I just want it to run. Three years worth of sitting wouldn't have screwed up the computer would it? It does run when you pour gas down the carb or are shooting starter fluid directly into it. I'm hoping it just needs a new carb. My plan is to have my local shop replace the rear gas tank and carb at the same time.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is very possible that it is a gummed up carb.  I recently pulled a carb apart that has been sitting for 12 years or so and there was varnish in the bottom of the bowls.  If yours has that it could have glued the float down to the bottom of the bowl and, therefore, no gas can get in.

Can the shop pull the carb apart?  It isn't terribly difficult to do.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
My goal over this weekend or next is to pull the carb. I'm going to see if my shop will rebuild it for me. Much cheaper than a new one, since it has the stupid computer stuff.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck.  Some of the older guys/shops should know that carb well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Well, finally some progress to report! Got the carb off, pretty easy actually. :-X0A6 I had a mechanic buddy over for adult supervision. I took pics of it every step of the way. I ordered a reman carb for $150 so I can get that sucker on. I checked with a couple of shops and with hourly rates of $80-$95, it would cost more to rebuild my current carb than get a reman one. My mechanic buddy agreed that the culprit for it not running is probably the carb. We did the "spray starter fluid in it" and it ran as long as there was spray but died after that. In the meantime, I'm going to get a new set of plugs and wires and teach my son how to change both. Every challenge is a teaching opportunity!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the right attitude!  Opportunity to learn.  And I like to learn.  

Anyway, you'll have it running soon.  Hope the carb fixes everything.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
It's alive!

My brother-in-law and I got the new carb on it yesterday, and after a squirt of starter fluid, it started right up! I turned it off and then started it again about three more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Each time it started up quickly and the engine purrs! I have no idea how old the spark plugs are but I wanted to make sure it was running before I changed them.
Woo hoo!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!!  That is such a good feeling!

But, watch out for Frau Blücher.  Tie down all those horses or they'll run away.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Congrat's!!!!  That is such a good feeling!

But, watch out for Frau Blücher.  Tie down all those horses or they'll run away.
Hump? What hump?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Walk this way.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Thanks everyone! By now, I'm getting really good at the "Ford two-step." Two steps forward, one back. Drove the truck to the gas station around the block, noticed a bit of a burning smell when I got home. It's about a 5 minute drive. Couple of hours later I drove it 10 minutes away to a self-serve car wash. Got it as clean and shiny as it was going to get, and by the time I got home, the passenger front disc brake was smoking. Halfway home I could smell the burning brake smell. I cooled it down with a fan but didn't have time to take it off. There's plenty of fluid and the other brakes work just fine. I believe it's probably a frozen caliper or maybe the rotor is warped. I'll be taking the wheel off sometime this week. I'm glad the truck is up and running, now I just want it to be driveable!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, the two-step.  But, 2-1=1 so you are making progress.  And, as Jim says, progress is good.  

I'd bet the caliper is stuck or the piston didn't retract properly, and probably the latter.  The disk brake calipers use an intriguing mechanism.  The o-ring that seals the piston is also the spring that brings it back away from the disk.  And it does that because it is square cut, so when the piston is pushed out of the caliper the o-ring actually rolls or twists and then un-twists and brings the piston back when the pedal is released.

But if the o-ring is hard it won't do that.  Or if there's rust around the piston the spring action of the o-ring might not be enough to retract the piston, resulting in that brake dragging.

However, if rust is the problem then I'd think the other side is going to be suspect.  As will the rear cylinders.  That three year sleep may have been the death of the brake system.  So, you may need to do a full brake job.