How to reply to a particular post in a thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to reply to a particular post in a thread

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm trying to answer individually  everybody that wrote in my thread about  " how is everybody doing and truck plans for next year"  I see that some of them will have at the top of the post : example   86 1/2 Brutus wrote ( is in bold letters ) and it says a particular piece that i wrote.  How do you do that?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to reply to a particular post in a thread

Gary Lewis
Administrator

86 1/2 Brutus wrote
I'm trying to answer individually  everybody that wrote in my thread about  " how is everybody doing and truck plans for next year"  I see that some of them will have at the top of the post : example   86 1/2 Brutus wrote ( is in bold letters ) and it says a particular piece that i wrote.  How do you do that?
If you push the "Quote" button on the left end of the buttons the system will paste in whatever the person you are replying to said.  And if that person had quoted another person then the other person's statement would be in as well.

So, I quoted your post, as you can see above.  I'll now post this and then reply to myself and you'll see that when I quote my post it includes your post.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
If you push the "Quote" button on the left end of the buttons the system will paste in whatever the person you are replying to said.  And if that person had quoted another person then the other person's statement would be in as well.

So, I quoted your post, as you can see above.  I'll now post this and then reply to myself and you'll see that when I quote my post it includes your post.
See, it includes your post because I quoted you.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
86 1/2 Brutus wrote

Like this?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I got it, thanks Gary
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  But to add a bit, you can put several quotes in one post.

Here's your last statement that I put in by just pressing Quote:
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
I got it, thanks Gary
Here's your original question, which I got by playing like I was going to reply to that post, hitting Quote, copying the text it inserted, then coming here and pasting it in.

86 1/2 Brutus wrote
So you could put everyone's responses in as quotes and respond to them individually if you wanted.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Then you've also got the "In reply to this post..." text that shows up.

Someone correct me if wrong as I've never really paid real close attention but I think it shows up if you click Reply on any post that is not the most recent one.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's the way it works.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Gary - I like that feature.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious
No he didn't!  But it's easy when "quoting" someone to edit what they said and make it look like they said something they never did say.  Don't do that!  I haven't seen it here, but on other boards I've (rarely) seen where someone changed what someone else said.  If it's done for humor (and it's obvious that you did it) that's one thing.  But if it's to make someone else look bad, or yourself look better?  Don't do that.

But, there are times where editing a quite can be a good idea.  For instance, I almost always delete out pictures someone else posted, just so we don't all have to wait for that picture to load multiple times when opening a page (I might keep a picture in if I'm commenting on it).

Or if I'm commenting on a specific part of a longer post I might delete all the rest of the post.  But when I do that I'll put "...." in place of the text I deleted to make it more clear that the person said more (in case my editing takes something out of context).

Not saying others need to do it the way I do.  But I do think everyone needs to be a little careful in this area.  It's so easy to miscommunicate on a bulletin board!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well said, Bob!

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Very well said.  People can be ugly enough in some of these groups, especially on facebook.  Thankfully it dosent happen here.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, that's the way it works.
This is a test.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6