How do I disconnect the speedometer cable in my 85?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do I disconnect the speedometer cable in my 85?

CDLong
This post was updated on .
Got the instrument cluster almost out. I can't get the speedometer cable disconnected. Found a video, he said to squeeze the fitting, but the cameraman does show him disconnecting it?
I have tried the following, (maybe not correctly?), it's still connected:
1.Yes, you squeeze the flat side of the clip and pull to disengage it. It is difficult to squeeze it enough. I had to use a pair of pliers to get mine to come off
2.While pushing the cable towards the speedo, press sideways on the white plastic collar, and then pull the cable out of the speedo. There is a little tab on the inside of the collar that holds it on
3.There's a white clip on your speedo cable behind your dash that you have to lift up, then the speedo cable pulls out.
4.On the speedo there is an indent that the white clip clips onto. I push the white clip over to one side and kind of wiggle it. It's kind of hard to explain.    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=9vBFGdHTcUUd  

CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How do I disconnect the speedometer cable in my 85?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't watch the video... yet.

You need to lever the plastic collar to the side.
The big part fits over the boss on the back of the speedo. The collar locks into the groove.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Check out the Speedo Cable tab on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometer Cables & Gears: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-gears-cables--sensors.html
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks again Jim.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Check out the Speedo Cable tab on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometer Cables & Gears: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-gears-cables--sensors.html
Thanks Gary. This is excellent. I'll search here first in the future. I think I don't have slack in my cable. One more question, there's a white wire on the bottom of the cluster that goes up the steering column. How do I disconnect it?
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by CDLong
I think Gary got it more right than I did.  

The way I phrased it makes it seem the inner collar is the lock when in reality it is the fixed end of the cable.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think Gary got it more right than I did.  

The way I phrased it makes it seem the inner collar is the lock when in reality it is the fixed end of the cable.
It's all good Jim. The most important thing to me is I get the help I need here so I don't throw in the towel when I get between a rock & a hard place. I am frustrated that I didn't do a better job inspecting Big Red before my purchase, but it was a case of once I saw the truck, I knew I wanted that truck. Know what I mean?
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
CDLong wrote
There's a white wire on the bottom of the cluster that goes up the steering column. How do I disconnect it?
During the last year, I disassembled and reassembled my cluster so many times that I could do it with my eyes closed, and if there was such a race I could win it.

That said, I suspect that you have a three on tree (the shift lever on the steering column), ‘cause in my case I don’t have such cable or wire linked to the steering column.
Am I right?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect the white "wire" is the shift indication cable.  The outer sheath is brittle and easily broken, so be careful.  But if I remember correctly you have a single screw that positions the wire on the steering column, and when you remove that you can take the loop on the end of the cable off of the pin on the steering column and the wire is free.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
If so, this is what I found in this manual:

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Jeff!

Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Yes, I have an automatic on the column. Thanks for your help!
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
And if it does break, it's a bit pricey, but there is someone making good reproduction/upgraded indicator cables:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td89267

https://bluetruckparts.com/products/ic80r

Happy with the one in my truck at least.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Thanks again for your help! Good info for me.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Instrument cluster is out. To disconnect speedo cable, I lightly pushed the connector to the right & wiggled the plastic piece while pulling back on the cable. I found the gear position indicator bracket on  on the left side of the steering column, (it is exposed when you remove the plastic cover on the steering column), removed the bolt and wiggled the bracket back & forth & up & down until I got it out of the column. The issue I have now is the clamp on the right side of the column. How do I get it open to remove the cable. Also, the housing the cable is in is broken. Do I need to replace the cable?Speedometer CableCluster cable connectorBracket on right side of column
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If the cable sheath is broken the shift indicator can't possibly read right.

Links to Blue Truck Parts and their eBay page are posted above.

This vendor has worked with us on window switches and door locks.
I can't speak for the shift Indicator cable because I own a manual truck but you might reply to one of the others (Gsmblue or ratdude) who have bought them and ask if they are happy with their purchase.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Very happy with mine.

To the OP: don't try repairing the old one... BTDT and it didn't work long term. Very much a case of "buy once, cry once". The reproduction is a 3D printed and enhanced design (added plastic to critical areas that like to break).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks Jim.
CD Long Jr