classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How To Stop This?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I pulled the inlet air system in order to get down to the steering box I discovered that there is movement where the inlet air line crosses the A/C system high pressure line.  In fact, the inlet tube has worn completely through the foam insulation that's on the line and was rubbing on the steel line itself.

As I put that back together today I stuck a piece of garage door bottom seal between them, as you can see in the picture, and that was the wrong thing to do.  Now when things move under the hood there's a noise like two rubber pieces sliding over each other - which is pretty much exactly what it is.

So I'm looking for suggestions.  One approach is to put something between those parts that will let them slide w/o making noise.  But probably a better approach is to raise the air cleaner box about 1/2" and see if that will let the inlet tube clear the A/C line.

Thoughts?  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How To Stop This?

Ifitaintbroke
What I generally use for these situations is thin rubber like a tire tube. Bicycle inner tubes work well. Just hold them on with a couple of zip ties.(I probably keep 1000+ zip ties on hand at all times)
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have plenty of inner tube rubber.  But I wonder if that would be very different from the garage door seal?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Which AC lines are you using? I have no interference on Darth, but I used a complete 1996 system both underhood and inside.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1990 lines.  Originally came from Huck the half-truck.  But those are new lines as the old ones had a leak.

I did some playing with it later and I think I can raise the inboard end of the air box about 1/2" and that will make the inlet tube clear the A/C line.  I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and will report back.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As it turns out I lowered the outboard end of the air box, which raised the inboard end.  As you can see in the pic on the left I circled the bolt I added, which screws into a nutsert I put in the bracket the air box sits in.  And in the pic on the right you can see that there's light coming through the gap between the inlet tube and the A/C compressor's discharge line.

There's only about a 1/8" gap, but that's far better than having the inlet tube resting on the A/C line.  So I think the problem has been solved.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I started to use the 1990 stuff off "big Ugly" the 1990 parts truck. When I was able to get a complete 1996 underhood and inside cases and ducting, I scored a set of almost new lines at PnP and ordered a 1994 up condenser and the proper orifice tube for a crew cab. Matt was still at LKQ so I got his price.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413