How I repaired fuel reservoir head

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How I repaired fuel reservoir head

CDLong
I had dropped the head while cleaning and broke off a return tube. I cleaned with rubbing alcohol & used J&B to repair. Once it was dry for 24 hours, I shaped the OD and holding the repaired tube down, ran a drill bit thru it. The mounting holes were broken. I cleaned it with Oxy Clean & Dawn mix & a toothbrush. I used a Dremel with tapered grinding stone to remove shine and rough up the plastic, Then I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol & Q tips. The mounting hardware was still in the frame. I purchased 4 SAE nuts that fit closely into the slots. I used the Dremel and wire brush to clean up the bolts and nuts & remove the shine from the 4 new nuts. I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol & Q tips. I used J&B Quick Weld. I coated the seats for the original nuts into place, then J&B the 2 SAE nuts behind them. I filled in as much as I could with J&B. The original nuts seem to be lock nuts. As the SAE nuts were not the same size, I didn’t have a way to line up all 3 thread holes. I added 2 flat washers and 1 lock washer to each bolt so as not to crack the housing again. My bolts went completely thru the nuts several threads. One of our members said to put Vaseline on the o rings inside the female fuel line fittings before installation. I had leakage around the bowl, May have not had the o ring seated properly. Removed bowl, dried it, used Vaseline to hold the o ring in place, no more leakage. I used Dorman 800-015 clips for the fuel line connectors.
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How I repaired fuel reservoir head

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  

Was there a filter inside it?  I may have missed it if you told us.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How I repaired fuel reservoir head

CDLong
Thank you. I forgot to add the filter.
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB