classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Horn & Blinker Dash Light intermittent

Raywilson
81 F150 XLT
They both work or they both don't. The blinkers always work  but the dash light for left side doesn't flash when the horn doesn't work. Any suggestions?
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Horn & Blinker Dash Light intermittent

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm guessing that it is a ground problem.  The turn signal indicators use ground G701, which is on the firewall behind the left side of the radio.  But the horn doesn't use that ground - unless you have speed control.  Do you?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
I never saw this reply, Gary, until just now. I do have speed control but it doesn't work. I took the dash apart again and turned the signal bulb socket 180deg and it now works. I think the horn is toast. My test light illuminates when I push the horn button and the relay vibrates. No noise from the horn. I replaced the clock spring earlier this year. Would really like to have speed control.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If I understand what you said, the turn signal indicator problem is fixed.  And you have power to the horn so the horn must be bad.

But you just said you'd like to have the speed control working.  Did you say that earlier and I missed it?  Or is this new?

On our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control we have not only the EVTM section that has troubleshooting procedures, but also the factory shop manual section.  Perhaps those will help?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
It's never worked. Hoped the clock spring would do it. I'll check out your documentation on speed next. As always, thanks for your support
Ray
302 automatic