Hoping to pick this up within the next few days...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hoping to pick this up within the next few days...

Rumblecloud
1981 F100, 300 CID (4.9L), 3-speed on the floor

All the dings and dents are from deer run-ins. Has not been started in awhile. No battery and no reverse gear. Also comes with a 460 disassembled, but complete. The ask is $1300
Whaddya all think?
2014 F150 4x4 leveled Ecoboost SCT tuner 1994 Ranger Splash 4x4 leveled 4.0L OHV Ported and Polished 1972 Ford 5000 Tractor
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hoping to pick this up within the next few days...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it has character.  Could be really neat.

But if it isn't running then you can't find out what problems it has beyond what you are told, and there are always many of those.  So I think the price is a bit high.  However, for your area with all the salt that's probably used on the roads it may not be too high if there isn't a lot of rust that isn't apparent in the pics.

Are you planning to start it before buying it?  Or take it home and then see if it'll start?  Either way if it hasn't been started in years then I would want to pull the plugs to spray a lube into the cylinders.  And I'd want to replace the gas in the tank - and the best way to do that is to replace the tank itself.  And while replacing the tank replace the rubber hoses that go from the tank to the hard line & hard line to the fuel pump.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome to the forum.

I paid $800 for my 81 F100 flare side 300 / granny 4sp to do weekly trash runs.
It ran but had a miss, on the vary short road test it did fire so knew it was a plug or wire.
Front steering was shot big time.
When looked over the truck I did see some rust but guess I did not look that close

The inside was even worst!
When home and found the motor to be good and looking it over better I then started to pull it apart.
The start of a 4 year cab off frame rebuild.

I also bought a 81 style side long bed parts truck (rolled over) for $400, less motor, doors, tail gate and some dash parts. A lot of that truck was used to rebuild my flare side.

I guess I ended up spending about what they are asking for that truck but 1 of mine did move under its own power. Note I did not say drive
I also think the asking price a little high not hearing it run or even drive.
I would say right off it may need a transmission with no reverse. Might get lucky and the floor shifter needs adjusting.
Fuel system rebuild, new tank as you can never get them clean of old sludge.
And most likely rebuild the brake system.

What is it you want to end up with and who will be doing all the work?
Just a project to have fun with and keep busy?
Just get it going and drive it for dump runs?
Make it look a little better and a nice driver to use as needed on weekends and maybe to / from work?
Or a full cab off frame rebuild? This can still be driven as a nice driver or a show only truck.

Mine was done, all by me, as a nice driver, weekly trash runs and I take it to shows as a plus.
It was given the name garbage truck by a member because that is why I bought it and the weekly runs

Sorry so long but just wanted to show you what can be done when you are a little (ok lot) crazy
Again welcome
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rumblecloud
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the response.

The plan was to buy it and bring it home. Too difficult to do any service work where the truck is located. Kind of a doudle-edged sword - Spend the time doing the work on it that benefits the current owner or spending the money up front and spend the time working on it for the new owner. Yes, I know one side of that sword is sharper than the other. But looking around at the current market, I believe I can get at least my money back if I resell and I get to keep the 460 engine to tinker with.

The frame looks pretty clean. It's difficult to roll around underneath it, but I am going back today for a final look see on the floor panels. The interior looks clean. The current owner installed some highback buckets that are in good shape.

The story is he brought the truck up from Arkansas and gave it to his daughter to drive while attending college. She graduated and returned the truck and dad drove it till reverse went out on the tranny.

A few things I need to clarify at today's visit are:

1. Exactly how long it has been sitting (check the tags on the plate)
2. Are there any other known issues with the engine (which looks extremely good - not that it has been  
    recently cleaned or anything - it just looks clean. No obvious visible trouble spots)
3. Check out the floor panels for rust
4. Check out the 460 engine that is part of the asking price

And finally, most importantly, I want to be happy about the purchase.

I'll post later on how it turns out. Thanks again or the input. I will use a fogger in the cylinders and change out the fuel and oil (which looks normal) when it's time. I also think it would be wise to crank it over manually a few rotations after fogging a few times before I put power to it.

Later,
r
2014 F150 4x4 leveled Ecoboost SCT tuner 1994 Ranger Splash 4x4 leveled 4.0L OHV Ported and Polished 1972 Ford 5000 Tractor
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
As we all know the cheaper we can get it the better
I would try for under $1000, maybe $800 cash for the package truck & 460 motor.

1, It's not running so cant take for a road test, needs a transmission and who knows what else just as a start?
Fuel system will need going through from sitting depending how long, just a drain & fresh gas or full rebuild?
Then if it needs floors, rockers, cab corners, etc.

Good luck we want more flare side owners on here
Dave ----

edit I wounder if that is a later 81, after Sept build it is a 82, as I dont see FORD across the hood?
But I also dont see the F100 on the fenders or were they painted over?
So maybe the hood & fenders were replaced? Rust or crash?
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rumblecloud
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
/\  /\  /\  What he said!  We'll keep our  that it works out well.

But this place sure is getting FOGgy.  

(Flareside Owners Group)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rumblecloud
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
DAVE...Hey!
I read your entire rebuild string -- it took two days, but I did it. Also, when I was searching google for F100 info, your truck came up more than once. And yes, you are crazy (crazy good).

Plans for the truck could go two ways - I'm not good enough to do what you did, so full on resto is most likely not in its future. A daily or occasional driver that looks, runs and drives good is more likely. One other option is to get it running and flip it for profit.

I do most of the wrench work myself. I currently don't weld or paint - mostly cuz I don't have the equipment. But I love toys - that's why I asked about your "red machine" in another older message string - and am not opposed to screwing things up while learning.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and take your advice to heart. I'll post more hopefully later tonight. I'm hoping to get happier about the pending purchase. If not I'll quietly walk away and continue looking. I like the flareside. My 94 Ranger which is my current project truck is a flareside one owner (ME). But I'm almost done with it - needs paint. So I need a next project.

Anyway , more later.
Thanks again,
r

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes on the red machine, I do remember reading about that post somewhere and sorry I did not answer it there.

We all have to start somewhere with a new skill like welding.
My red machine runs off 120 volts and uses gas and a thin wire for sheet metal welding.
Mine was bought for sheet metal work so why the 120v. I did try flux core wire but it is a little thicker so have to run higher amps and has a lot more splatter and clean up.
Once you have a MIG welder you will wonder how you did with out one for so long!

If you have a fair size air compressor then painting could also be done.
You dont have to buy the best HVLP gun out there and even more so if you are just starting out.
I used a HF old school suction gun for for primer and for painting I got Eastwood Starting Line 3 gun kit.
I believe if the user is any good then he can use any gun to spray and get a great job out of it.

As you said "not opposed to screwing things up while learning." and that's all it takes.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Rumblecloud wrote
1981 F100, 300 CID (4.9L), 3-speed on the floor

All the dings and dents are from deer run-ins. Has not been started in awhile. No battery and no reverse gear. Also comes with a 460 disassembled, but complete. The ask is $1300
Whaddya all think?
I think it's great! This is my kind of project, 100%! I'm all about the Bullnose Flaresides! I don't know about the $1300 part...that's kind of region specific. If the truck was solid, I'd pay it...but not everybody would.

This 3-speed on the floor...is this what was a 3-on-the-tree column shift that was converted to a floor shift? AKA "3-by-the-knee"...lol. Or is it a 4spd with the "bull low" 1st gear?

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I'm guessing that this truck has the small 5x4.5" bolt pattern wheels?

The 300 should be easy to get going. They have to be in really awful condition to not run...I mean even if it's seized...I wouldn't necessarily give up on it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rumblecloud
Well...visit did not go well.
The gentleman seemed agitated that I was asking so many questions and asked what it was that I was trying to accomplish. I simply told him - as I mentioned here in an earlier post - that I just wanted to be happy with the purchase. This was the third time I had been by to look at the vehicle and only the second time I had involved the gentleman. Why he was agitated I have no idea. I think it's kinda normal to ask questions.

On his behalf, perhaps he thought I was trying to bargain the price down a bit. But that never came up. I even had the cash in my back pocket. I just could not get my head around it. You know how sometimes you just don't feel right about something? This was one of those times. I just wasn't happy about it. So I just told him I'd call him in the morning and let him know. Funny, as he was walking away he said he thought he would just keep it.

It was last plated in 2016. This was the first time I had a chance to look into the interior. It was a mess. The floor shift was there when he bought it so he had no info on it. The dash was in total disarray. But the rest of the truck is solid. Frame looked really good 'cept for a couple of spots along the side in front of the rear axle but nothing to be overly concerned about. I also have a Marti Report coming that I paid 20 for. When I get it I'll make sure to go and give him a copy to make him feel better.

I'll call him tomorrow and let him no no (see what I did there). And the search continues. I love the flareside. So does my wife. Anyone with any leads, let me know. Feels funny now that I am here I got nothin.'

Sorry this is so long but you guys have been great. I'll be around checking in every day and see what's up and looking for leads.

Thanks again
R
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are wise to go with your gut feeling.  It is hard to walk away from something like that when you been thinking about it for quite a while.

You might think about telling the guy when you call tomorrow that you'd already order a Marti report for it and that you'll give him a copy.  That should make him feel better about it.

As for finding something else, the Pacific NorthWest is the place to look.  Their prices are about as low as anywhere and the trucks are in the best shape as they don't use salt on the roads and they have less UV than places like OK or TX.

And no, I don't no what you did.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree with Gary, go with your gut.

I didn’t see where you’re at. I’m in the Pacific Northwest and try to post bullnoses when I see them.

If you can’t drive it, it’s hard to evaluate the truck.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
around here that would be a 500-dollar truck to me. maybe a little more since i always look for flaresides but I have walked away from many because someone else's "diamond in the rough " was just too rough. today's pricing is unprecedented though. however, the last truck I bought this way was 400 and I'm doing a frame off restomod on it now. as parts availability goes down parts prices go up so keep that in mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Well sorry to hear it fell through.
Then again when you call him and say you have the report he may may have a change of hart.
Heck he could of just had a fight with his wife / girl friend / ? and it just spilled over when you showed up.

Also who sells / buys a car or truck and not bargain?
Its all part of the game
Dave ----
Dave G.