Hood cable placement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hood cable placement

delco1946
Does anyone have pictures of how the hood cable is supposed to route through the radiator, fender and towards the driver? Mine was completely pulled by the body shop and not rerouted correctly. I’d also be curious to know how it’s supposed to be mounted/ tied to the fender to hold it when the driver pulls the release handle. (I could jerryrig it but obviously I’d prefer it to be the way Ford intended it!)
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hood cable placement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Does this help?  And if you need other pics just let me know.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Oh! Does it really just lay on top of the radiator like that?! Also would you have a pic of where/ how it’s connected the the back part of the fender? Like does it weave in and out of the holes of the inner fender? Is it just zip tied?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bear in mind that this is how it is routed - after several people have had this truck apart.  Including .

That's it running along the right side of the pic inside the convolute.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
In reply to this post by delco1946
Technically it's not, that black metal front support is in front of the radiator. But yes it just lays on there. It's so stiff it doesn't need help staying put. You can see mine in the pic below, it's not as close-up of a shot, sorry, but you can tell it's not held down anywhere. Looks just like Gary's.

There are two ties to the fender. My picture is a little hard to see because I made a redneck adapter plate for an aftermarket washer reservoir, but you can see one of them just peeking out behind it and the other below and left:

This seems to be enough to hold it in place. Like a lot of push-pull cables, it has a stiff outer sheath and is designed to work by having the ends fixed in place. The middle can flop around (or get routed) any which way and it will still work, but you don't want to weave it in and out of things, you want the flattest, loosest arc you can manage to minimize friction inside.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by delco1946
well ford used small ring type clips which have two barbs so they can loop over the cable then snap into 1/4" holes. they are fragile by this time and reusing the ones you may or may not find is iffy. I believe you can find replacements through lmc. I often use zip ties as I do resto mods and repairs not documented restorations. but i do thread them from underneath the panel to make it as clean as possible. as for just lying on the top.  the filler panel between the core support and grill has a gutter type of recess for this reason then yes it bridges across the corner to the fender behind the washer/coolant reservoir
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thanks all! It’s on my to do list to fix today, as well as investing my charging system. Doesn’t seem like it’s doing it’s job, battery measured 12.4 v this morning and my amp gauge seems to be creeping ever more towards that 50% marker/ discharge . Always something!