High oil pressure in a 300

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High oil pressure in a 300

Squirlye
So as I stated in the new members introduction thread. I have a 86 F-150 4x4 300 I6 4 speed shortbed. The truck hasn't been driven for about 3 or so years. It was parked because the clutch wasn't working. But as I've been working on it I've started  finding some issues. Not surprised since the truck is 36 years old. I rebuilt the carb, changed the oil and it starts right up. Has a little bit of a miss. But it still runs. But what I've noticed is that the oil pressure gauge goes up very high and pretty much stays there. So where should I start to look. Is it a bad gauge, sensor, oil pump or something else.
Squirlye, 86 F-150 short bed, 300 I6, 4x4, 4 speed, HEI distributer with computer delete. And more to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: High oil pressure in a 300

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Someone may have put an oil pressure switch in when it should be a sending unit. If you have jumper wires you could connect that device to the wire for collar temp, and oil pressure wire to the sender for the coolant temp. The gauges are identical so that way you can test both gauges and sending units.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Squirlye
The only thing I can think is the check ball and spring of the oil pump bypass have become stuck in their seat.
The engine certainly didn't get tighter in 3 years of non use.

It might be interesting to thread an actual mechanical pressure gauge into that sensor port, just to see.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Squirlye
Interesting advice, I actually have a mechanical pressure gauge. It's from my 67 mustang. I'll see if I can make it work. I also forgot to mention that at first startup it has a sticky lifer. But it works itself out after a minute or so.
Squirlye, 86 F-150 short bed, 300 I6, 4x4, 4 speed, HEI distributer with computer delete. And more to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Using some snake oil like Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil or even ATF before your next oil change might help free things up.
But high oil pressure (if it actually is that) is turning fluid shearing into heat.

It may simply be the sender.
You can check the resistance.

I run diesel oil specifically because the detergent package keeps dirt in suspension and my engine is clean as a whistle inside.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Squirlye
How do you check the resistance? I have to admit that my weakness in mechanical skills is the electrical side. As well as uploading pictures on this forum lol... Also I use seafoam in all of my other vehicles fuel tanks. I noticed that you can use it as a oil additive. Would this work as well ? I also use diesel oil in this engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The oil pressure sender only makes the gauge connect to ground.
10 & 70 ohms at the extremes for Bullnose gauges.

So you can connect a multimeter to ground and the sender with the engine off and see the reading.
Then you can start the truck and see what it's reading.

If you ground the wire going to the sender, the gauge should go to the top of the scale.
But don't do this for any longer than you have to, to avoid damaging the spring in the gauge.
 Jim,