High idle kickdown engaged on startup when warm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High idle kickdown engaged on startup when warm

26ftcobraBBF
Hi Fellas, im current out on the Road in the Cobra hailing from PNW ( Pacific Northwest). Out on the Olympic Peninsula to be specific. The issue I'm having is the high idle engaging on startup at operating temp. So I'll pull into a gas station, after burning a tank of gas, shut it off just long enough to fill up, then when I start it up the idle is high and I have to rev the engine to kick it back down. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times to get it to kick down. Kinds makes me feel like a jerk reving the motor up like a teenager at the gas pump. What can I do or is that just the nature of the carburator. Thanks for any advice you can pass along.
Mike
'85 Ford Cobra Econoline E350 7.5L carbureted thing of beauty
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: High idle kickdown engaged on startup when warm

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mike,
You have the 0-80457-S, correct?

The fast idle cam is adjusted by a setscrew behind the choke coil.

I will say the little plastic cam  could be sticking.
And it might not be due to the adjustment at all.

(If it was working before, use carb cleaner with the straw, work it back and forth, then flush it again)

Don't mess with the adjustment, if it used to be okay.

The 4180 that came on your rig had a  little metal tab that had to be bent. (Fed emissions 'tamper-proof' mandate)

Holley has the 4160 instruction manual online if you don't have them with you.

Enjoy your trip!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: High idle kickdown engaged on startup when warm

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, enjoy your trip!  I hope the high idle is the worst of your problems, and that you get it tamed easily.

And post up some pics!  Start a thread for your trip and let us know where you are and show us what you are seeing.  Please!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI