Hi from NYC !

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hi from NYC !

SPEIRMOOR
No Bullnose yet but I'm on the hunt. Actually never had a Truck, a Pickup or a 4x4 in life. My parents had Fords growing up so now its my turn. I really set my heart on the '80-86 and my ideal goal is to acquire one that's a Shortbed (Styleside), 4x4, Automatic and has AC. Looks are not important but whatever I buy needs to be roadworthy and pass inspection. Haven't owned any car in 15 years but I have several motorcycles which are my real passion. I need something to do here in NYC when the bad weather comes in. Not afraid to get stuck in to any Mechanical/Electrical issues so I'm sure I'll have a bunch of Q's for the group here
Best
John
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hi from NYC !

Machspeed
Administrator
Good to have you join us! Good luck in you quest for a Bullnose.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by SPEIRMOOR
Welcome, John!  Glad you joined.  

We can help you on your search.  Are you willing to travel a ways to buy the truck and drive it home?  Are you looking for an F150 or a 250 or 350?  (Don't know that I've ever seen a shortbed 250 or 350.)  What engine?

Also, would you like to be on our map?  You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome John!  

What borough are you in and how far are you willing to travel?
Have you considered a Bronco, and just have the lid off?

I'm thinking SWB pickups are not very common, but maybe that's why you want one??
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
In reply to this post by grumpin
Guys to be honest I chose the shortbed simply because of the parking congestion here in NYC. I'm right in western Queens only 3mi from Central Park in Manhattan. I rent a garage but all my bikes are in there so the truck will need to be parked on the street. Not much room for anything more that a shortbed. I'm not keen on the Bronco because I want to use the truck for picking up Bikes that I buy and sell.

I found an ideal candidate in Colorado and spoke to the owner. There are a couple of issues
A) They want cash (I asked them look in to other methods Escrow etc in the meantime)
B) I cant do a fly/drive right now as I'll be quarantined once I return to NY so I'll need to ship it
C) Never done this before so not sure what happens next.
 I'm guessing if we could fulfill payment, I could insure the truck, obtain plates so by the time it arrives here I'd put my plates on and I'm good to go? I'm not sure how fast DMV are at the moment either with sending out plates under the current pandemic. If it arrives and I don't have the plates I need to get it off the street until I do
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you are willing to go that far I'd suggest you look in the Pacific North West.  Oregon and Washington.  Several of the guys on here watch the various adverts from there and post the interesting ones on here, and they go much less expensive there than anywhere.  And, they are usually in better shape since they don't use salt on the roads.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
Good advice Gary. I guess I’m just trigger happy at the moment and want to scratch that itch. Thing is that truck in CO totally suits me. Damn Covid 🤬
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know that a Shortbed is too good for you trading in bikes.
You may be saving 16" wheelbase but you have to watch the overall of the bikes you can fit.
I know my /7 would barely close the gate.
And I have 8' ramps (overall) that are steep enough as is to get a bike up in there.
If they were 16" shorter many bikes would high center going in.

Not trying to discourage you.
Just showing you from my side of the fence.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
Didnt think of that. When the tailgate is down is it like an extension of the bed or does it flop all the way down?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is an extension of the bed.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But it doesn't have the strength of a bed.  AMHIK!
Especially if you can't get a bike up on its centerstand, the tailgate is going to end up folded and torn in half.
I have pictures (and I didn't run around with rear tires resting on the gate)

You might weld a piece of diamondplate across the inside.
That's what I tried.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
Yea I'll strengthen the gate up when I get it, thanks for the heads up.
Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
Just wondering if I broaden my horizons and included searches for a F150 Long bed should I include the F250 too from the same era? Would there be much of a size difference?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The body dimensions are exactly the same for all of the F-series from F100 through F350.  Said differently, they used the same body panels on all of them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There will be a height difference because of 16" wheels and stronger springs.
Also you will lose the 302/5.0 as an engine option, but gain the 460.

The body is identical.
In fact, the cab is pretty much the same right up into the medium duty trucks.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Also you will lose the 302/5.0 as an engine option, but gain the 460.
The 302/5.0 was available in the light duty F250's. I've seen a few of them pop up for sale recently. They're more common in the 2wd F250's than in the 4x4's, but they are out there. My M5OD came out of a 1991 F250 with a 302 in it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess I don't even consider that thing with semi floating axles a 250.
(I mean, they surely aren't good at being a 3/4 ton vehicle...)
But you are correct, there were a few '250's' out there with a 302.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

SPEIRMOOR
Just to add a spanner to the works. Would a '83 F100 be much smaller than an F150 from the same year?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No. All of the body panels are exactly the same. An F100 may sit lower, but end-to-end and side-to-side an F100 and an F350 are exactly the same.