Hi from Germany

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hi from Germany

Wolpe
Unfortunately, we don't have that many suppliers in Germany. I have to limit myself to those delivering to GER. LMC Truck Rockauto Ebay
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wonder if someone here could measure a Supercab headliner and you could recreate it from a heavy cardboard or very thin plywood there?  Then just have it recovered with a material of your choice?

It is just a flat piece of cardboard with fairly regular dimensions, so shouldn't be difficult.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
Yes, the problem are the angles and bulges (not sure if it is the right word) as well as the recesses on the Edge and the cuts
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe better would be to trace it on a piece of paper and send that to you.  Perhaps two pieces of what we call "newsprint" taped together would be wide enough.

I'd be happy to do it if I had the right headliner.  But all I have are headliners for regular cab trucks.  I wonder if you could just add how ever many inches to it in the middle?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
In reply to this post by Wolpe
That would be a great idea, I think the regular cab should have the same dimensions down to the length, I would then just have to stretch it in length
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the only dimension that will be different is the fore/aft one.

My wife has some stabilizer material for her sewing that looks like it is ideal as it won't rip nor stretch easily and yet it is lightweight.  She doesn't have enough for this, but we will going out tomorrow and will see if we can get some more.  Then I'll clean off the work table, pin that stuff down, lay the headliner on top and trace around it.  Should fit nicely in a small envelope and I can mail it to you.

So email me your address.  You can click on my name in the response and click on Send Email To Gary Lewis.

And I'll also measure the thickness of the cardboard.  It isn't anything special and you should be able to get something close in size.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I would probably use a piece of Tyvek (spun bonded non-woven polyolefin)

I have a 9' wide roll, and it doesn't stretch or tear.

Mind that you don't want to cut the fabric in the corners.
Just let it become a dart. (I have no idea what this word is in German)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
sounds like a plan,
 thanks for the support.
Please  do this only if it is not too expensive.
Please let me know beforehand what the material and the letter would cost

1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wolpe wrote
sounds like a plan,
 thanks for the support.
Please  do this only if it is not too expensive.
Please let me know beforehand what the material and the letter would cost
My wife said the material won't cost much, so that's not an issue.  But on the cost of getting it there, I'll chat with my friends at the place where I ship lots of Ford things (I'm know as The Ford Guy) and see what the best envelope size for shipping is and what the cost will be of getting it there and then let you know.  I'm guessing that an A4 (8 1/2 x 11") size will be best, but a bit bigger would mean less folding and less bulk.

Jim - Tyvec would be good, but I don't have any and this stuff is similar, just not as heavy nor heavy duty.  But it is lots sturdier than paper and won't be harmed if it gets wet or smashed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the material yesterday.  It is 42" wide, which probably isn't wide enough so we got 3 yards, which is 9' or 2.74 meters long.  That will be more than enough to let me splice some onto the side

Was busy at church today, but hope to get the work table cleared off tomorrow so I can tack the material down, put the headliner backing on it, and trace around it.  Then, knowing how much material we are working with I can call the shipping people on Monday and figure out the cheapest way to ship it and the cost thereof.

At that point you can decide if you want it or not.  But I don't think it'll be all that expensive and it'll give you a good way to create a headliner.

However, we need to take some measurements of a regular cab vs a supercab so you know how much to lengthen the tracing.  I'll see what I can figure out that would be good reference points, like maybe the dash to the back glass.  Or the rearview mirror to the back glass.  But, if anyone has suggestions please let us know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Michael - I started a new thread on the headliner tracing: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Headliner-Tracing-td47039.html.  I'm using it to see if anyone can think of anything else that needs to be done.

Monday I'll check to see what it'll cost to ship it and let you know.  But I think it'll fold up nicely in a padded envelope and won't cost much.