classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help choosing a replacement carburetor

Steve's Lariat
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new bullnose owner/member. I've enjoyed reading this message board to help me learn all about these trucks and find resources. I kind of have two left thumbs when it comes to things mechanical, but I'm trying to learn and get better.

I recently bought a 1985 F150 XLT Lariat with a 351. Previous owner put on slick wheels, a 4-barrel Edelbrock racing carb and blocked off the emissions hosing. The truck runs rough -- high idle, accelerator pedal sticks, kick-down linkage was not re-attached.

I envision the truck as a Sunday cruiser and would like to return it to more of a stock vibe. I'd also like it to pass inspection! (in New York State)  

Could anyone suggest an aftermarket carburetor for my basic performance needs? Would a Holley 650 be advisable? A local garage is helping me get the truck inspection-ready and mentioned that model.

I don't yet know if the original EEC-IV/TFI ignition was stripped out but assume I'll be eliminating the feedback carb.

'85 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Maine and Central PA (where the Bullnose lives)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help choosing a replacement carburetor

old55pete
Steve, oddly enough, my name is also Steve. First off, Welcome. Second order of business, I am in charge of nothing, just a member. I am sure someone that is in charge and ask if you went to the new members section and read the rules? Then ask for you to put a signiture at the bottom of your introduction post in the new members section(see the bottom of this for a signiture). Then Gary will come along and ask if you want to be put on the members Map. They may also ask for pictures of your pick up.

Good luck with your Carb. Some of my questions would include, what cam do you have? What ignition system do you have? What intake manifold do you have?
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve's Lariat
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum! I have a relatively stock 351W HO and it is carb'd with an Edlebrock 600 CFM, model number 1406. I love that carb. Not sure how your engine is equipped, but if stock I'd go with that 1406.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
In reply to this post by old55pete
Thanks, Steve, for the help getting started. Updated my signature. Photo to come...
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Thanks, John. I appreciate the welcome and the suggestion.
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Your namesake was right in all he typed.  So first, did you read the guidelines?  We ask people to go to the New Members Start Here folder as the guidelines are front and center there and we don't want people to miss them.

Second, do you want to be put on the map?  It is at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.  All we need is a city or a zip

And, you've updated your signature so you are ahead of me there.

On the carb, in '85 a 351W could have come two ways:

2bbl w/a feedback carb and the EEC ignition system with a computer under the dash

4bbl and DS-II system and no computer

Do you know which you had?  You should be able to tell from the VIN, which shows on the Certification Label on the driver's door jamb.  The 8th digit gives the engine code, with a G indicating a 351W 2bbl and an H representing a 351W 4bbl.

Welcome!!!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Steve, I agree with John, the 1406 does work great on this engine when stock, I recently replaced one on my 351W, I used the 1405, as this is with manual choke, the 1406 is with electric choke. Only thing with the Edelbrock carbs is to make sure the fuel pressure to the carb is not going above 6.5psi. For that reason I installed a gauge and fuel pressure regulator.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I'm running a Holley 600CFM (4160), but mine is a 302, not 351. I've been pretty happy with it...going on 3 years now. The only problems that I've had with it were self-inflicted due to me making improper adjustments or using poor quality parts (had a carb spacer that warped and leaked). I have zero experience with Edelbrock carbs, but they too seem to be loved by all.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome, Steve!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Steve.  

A picture of the engine, and any emissions compliance stickers on the valve cover or radiator support would help a lot in getting your truck past inspection.

The carburetor you have is probably fine for your application
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and for giving me a lot of good questions that I need to find the answers to. I now know one thing that I didn't yesterday: The VIN has an H, so my truck had the 4bbl and DS-II system and no computer.

I will find out what model Edelbrock carb is on there now, as it sounds like maybe it doesn't need to be replaced if the other, related issues are addressed.  

Gary, I'll read the guidelines and add myself to the map. And I'll post photos and update everyone on my progress some point soon.

'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
Gary, my city and zip are: Renovo, Pennsylvania 17764
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
So, My question would have to be is, Did you know about the adapter kit from Edelbrock that makes it where you can hook up the linkage for passing gear?

We had to do this when we put the carb and manifold on my sons pickup. It has a 351C and a C6 trans.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/157301/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIson6n9OM7gIVOYlbCh0Z0gliEAQYASABEgI_x_D_BwE
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
I did read a little about adaptors for the linkage. I will definitely need one. Thank you for the link!
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - You are now on the map.  And, by the way, the model number of an Edelbrock is usually on the left/passenger's side corner of the base.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Like this

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
By 1985, most models with the 5.8/351 engine had a 4-barrel carburetor from the factory.  They were known as 5.8L 4V H.O. engines.  These engines had a DuraSpark II ignition and no EEC-IV controls.  If your engine has a stock Ford 4-barrel intake manifold under that Edelbrock carburetor and a square ignition module bolted to the driver's side inner fender, then this is what you have.

If you would like to get it closer to stock - which is what I would do if you want to make things easier on yourself and pass emissions inspections  - I would purchase the correct carburetor for it.  The stock carburetor for these engines was the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180.  This is the same carburetor the mighty Mustang GT used from 1983 - 1985, so it is a very good carburetor.  It will have all of the correct linkages and connections on it you need to hook up your stock emissions equipment.  

I took the liberty of checking RockAuto and found one for you:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1125150&cc=1121588&jsn=946&jsn=946

For further reading, here is a detailed article on the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/3-years-5-0l-high-output-fitted-holley-4180c-carburetor/

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
Thank you for all the info. Will find out if the intake manifold and ignition module are stock and read up on the Holley 4180. Really appreciate it!!
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
Thanks, Gary.
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The 4180 is a peculiar carb.
I had one on my '85 Mustang, and my '87 f-250 as well.
They are jetted VERY lean.

The early ones had "4 corner idle"...  there were mixture screws for each barrel.
(Consider the implications of that!)

Later ones like on the truck only had two mixture screws in the front.
Covered by hardened steel plugs to comply with federal "tamper proof" mandate.

Front and rear bowls had large elbow vent tubes that connected to the dual charcoal canisters by way of vacuum actuated check valves.
If you use a 4180 you're going to need all this emissions stuff installed.

Also note the carb body itself has different passages and a fixed metering plate front and rear.
You aren't able to change any jets in order to tune them.
So without a calibration code for your engine (or the blue anodized tag off the stock carb) it is going to be a challenge to get an exact match for which carburetor came on your engine.

With a calibration code and a VIN, Gary may be able to give you a part number for the 4180 you need.
But you're going to be stuck with whatever tune it has.
 Jim,