39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help, Please, On Pricing This Stuff!!!!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I really need some help pricing the swap meet stuff for the show.  PLEASE!

Essentially ALL of the stuff MUST sell as I do not want to bring it home.  The exceptions are the 460 and T-19 I took out of Big Blue.  The youth group from church is doing the selling, with me as backup, so I need to give them easy-to-follow guidelines.  And, by the way, save for my two things the youth group also gets the money.

There are probably ~250 books, some of which are Ford pubs and some are generic, like Motors or Clymers.  The Ford books, like factory shop manuals or master parts catalogs, will be $5/ea. And the generic ones will be $1/ea.  Until 2:00 PM, at which point we'll mark things down so much that they'll sell, or maybe even give them away.

But on other things I need some help:

Engines: For the 351M/400 and the 360/390 I think I'll put $100 on each, and that includes the attached C6 on the M-Block.  But on the 460 I pulled from Big Blue I'm asking $500 since I know it runs and it has an Edelbrock intake and water pump on it.  Is that reasonable?

Fender: I have a nice Bumpside RF fender and I have no clue what it is worth.  I think I'll ask the FORDification guys, but do any of you have an idea?

Carbs: As you'll see below, there are 5 Holley's and a bunch of parts.  What price should I put on them to sell?  And what price on the bucket and box of parts?

Fans: There are several fans.  How should I price them?

Key Fobs: And there are several security key fobs.  I have no idea if they work.  Price for one?
 Price for all?

Headlights & Tail Lights: Yes, there are some pretty fancy units there.  $5/ea?

Please let me know what you think!

Oh yes, there's a closeup of something in these pics that proves I lie like a dirty dog as it is in my shop!  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help, Please, On Pricing This Stuff!!!!

kramttocs
Administrator
Oh wow. That's quite the selection and I look forward to see what all is there. Sadly I will be no help on prices. I will take that bathroom towel holder  off your hands if still there when I arrive.

The prices you have listed are more than reasonable (steals I would say for someone even mildly looking) so continuing in that theme, if mine, and not wanting to haul any of it back home, I'd make a tote for $20, $10, $5, and $1. Then aside from the fender and maybe a few other standout items, chuck items in whatever box looks good.
It's when buyers ask for package deals that it will get complicated for your sellers so maybe give them some hard and fast rule like $20+ of multiple items can get 25% off, if asked for?

Just spitballing.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Man, a running 460 for $500? You're making me want to head over to OK in a Uhaul so I can drive my F350 while I wait to rebuild my current engine.

Seriously though, I might be interested in the three identical fobs with the lock, unlock, panic buttons. Are they OEM Ford?

I think your pricing is more than reasonable, and I like your plan to drop the prices if items don't sell just to get rid of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, thanks!  I appreciate the input.

Scott - I'll pull the "bathroom towel holder" out for you.  (I took the pic in a way that it would be visible.  )

Shaun - The 460 runs, but it is worn out.  I saw 50% leakage on more than one cylinder when I did the leak-down test.  The "460" written on the valve covers with a paint pen suggests that it came directly from the salvage.

On the key fobs, I'll pull them out and check, but I don't know anything about them at this point.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
Can the 460 be bored and rebuilt? Owning Gary’s father’s engine is a piece of modern bullnose history.

Gary, if nobody takes it at $500 I’m interested and will investigate having it picked up and shipped. I did buy my 86 on the internet and had it delivered.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know anything about the background of the 460.  It is out of Big Blue and not Dad's truck.

But I'd bet that the engine hasn't been bored as the valve covers have "460" written on them just like a salvage would do.  So my expectation is that that Vernon, the PO, paid  a hefty sum and years, literally, later when he started pushing to have his engine back the guy bought one from a salvage and slapped it in, installing only the visual things that Vernon paid for - the intake and the water pump.  If that's true then it probably hasn't been bored.

However, I have no proof for that theory other than anecdotal evidence of the writing on the valve covers.

Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
It’s beautiful!
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shipping would be pretty expensive.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
On the key fobs, I'll pull them out and check, but I don't know anything about them at this point.
They're common fobs for late 90's to late 2000's Ford vehicles, like both of my Rangers. The ones with the trunk buttons are the same vintage, but obviously for a car.

The one with the Ford oval is a little older, early to mid 90s. There's a picture of it in the 1995 and 1996 F-Series brochures here on the site.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, on the carbs, particularly the Holleys, if you can get the"list" number I can probably tell you the sizes, the spread bore is probably for a Chevy, not an uncommon application back in the day. The Motorcraft 4300 is a rarity, a feedback or altitude compensated version, you might want to clean it up a bit and put it with your 7200 VV as they are from the same era.

The plastic intake is for a mod motor, probably a 4.6L as the 5.4L is wider, but hard to tell off the engine.

The pile of assorted carburetor parts evokes memories of Preston Carburetion.

Engine fans, the one that has 3.8L may be a Mustang, my Taurus did not have the cutout in the lower right as installed.

Mr. Gasket carb adapter, Square bore to Quadrajet or Quadrajet to square bore, sold a lot of those at Preston.

Thermactor valves, if they are good, priceless for someone who has to have one to pass emission testing.

Hope this helps.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by salans7
Yeah, the older ones are getting somewhat hard to find, but (finally) somebody in China finally started making aftermarket cases for them (the key loops break often, like is the case here). My 1995 ranger uses them... and I lost one in a Walmart parking lot in Owasso over last year's show )... Wait a sec... you didn't find that one in the church lot last year???

May I call dibs on that FOB (for a reasonable price... but it's a good cause so I kind don't care)?

FWIW I've since replaced the missing one... they're number-specific (Transmitter 1-4 on the orignal cases) and I've never come across a 3 or a 4. The one I lost was a "1".
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
What about the transmission floor jack adapter? Interested (not that I need to pull a transmission at the moment, knock on wood).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I don't really want to spend much time figuring out what they are.  I just want to sell them.  So do you have a suggested price?  As for the 4300, is that the one in the lower left?

Shaun & Larry - I'll pull the fobs and we can look them over at our leisure.

Larry - What are you offering for the tranny adapter?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The Spreadbore, I would start at $100 as they are discontinued and that one is for a Chevy. The 4180, maybe the same as that is an emission specific carb. The two regular Holleys, probably $35 for the complete one, $25 for the one missing the bowl (may be in the parts bin). The 4300, if I was closer I would discuss an offer, just because of being unusual.

The rest of the carb stuff, if you have a shop that does restoration might be a place to try and offer the stuff to.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, but you apparently think I recognize each of those carb.  But I can figure out which one is the spreadbore as it'll have the GM spreadbore spacing like a QJet.  And I already have a 4180C on the shelf so should be able to spot that one.  Last, the 4300 should look like a 2150 on the front with annular boosters, so I should be able to figure that out as well.  Right?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Actually, I don't think it'll work for me after all... Research time:

Per a review of the manual online, it's a discontinued Harbor Freight 1/2 Ton (880LB) adapter for a specific floor jack (the also discontinued Central Hydraulics 50183 2 1/4 ton Jack).

central-hydraulics-39152-user-manual.pdf

22173393.pdf

I have a later model Harbor Freight Pittsburg jack whose saddle is bolt on, not slip-in with a stud like the jack above:

Looking through the manual, I think that saddle has to be in the middle of the frame... there's a U shaped bracket that goes underneath the main frame of the adapter, and it looks like it goes under the saddle and around the stud.

I guess the bigger challenge is who still has and uses one of these old orange and white Harbor Freight jacks?
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
OMG!
That's the Gari Baba's cave treasure sale!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - I like that!  Gari Baba's cave treasure sale!  

Larry - I've not done the research to see what it'll fit.  I don't have the time to research any, much less all, of the thousands of things in the cave.  So I'll take your word that it won't fit yours, and let the buyer figure out how to make it fit his.  But what price should I put on it?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I've seen them on Google Shopping as low as $40 and as high as $140...  I'd maybe start at $60? But take down to $40?

(I'm a buyer not a seller as you can tell).
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
4300 is the strange 4 barrel with the tiny extra choke blade between the "wings" of the air valve. The Spread bore has a Q-jet mount and is the one with two accelerator pumps.

I have to leave for a while, Drs. appointment in Salisbury, be back in roughly 3 1/2 hours.
Gary Lewis wrote
Thanks, but you apparently think I recognize each of those carb.  But I can figure out which one is the spreadbore as it'll have the GM spreadbore spacing like a QJet.  And I already have a 4180C on the shelf so should be able to spot that one.  Last, the 4300 should look like a 2150 on the front with annular boosters, so I should be able to figure that out as well.  Right?  
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile