Help/Advice for a friend selling a truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help/Advice for a friend selling a truck

Gsmblue
My friends Father passed away this week after a long battle with cancer and a fatty liver. He went peacefully yesterday morning with his family with him.

The Father had a 1978 F350 Custom flatbed that was apparently an ex-uhaul vehicle. It appears to have a 351 of some flavor in it. Not sure of the transmission at this time. It is pretty straight and clean. I will be getting all the details later today or tomorrow.

It has been sat for a a couple of years and they have asked me to help them clean it up and list for sale.

Personally I have no idea what a truck of this vintage would go for, especially in this condition.

It has not been started in 2-3 years and I advised them against trying to start it unless they want to pull the gas out and check cylinders and put oil in etc, sounds like that is more work then they want to do right now. But over the weekend I may do all that for them. "It ran 2 years ago..."

So for a vehicle like this, what would be a fair price to ask? $3k? $5k? I really don't know where to start them and was hoping some guidance from the brain trust here. I know every dollar would go a long way for them right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help/Advice for a friend selling a truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - I'm sorry for their loss.  But I don't really have a clue about a reasonable price for the truck.  However, Keith/FORDification might, so I'll tag him.

Keith - Can you help with the valuation?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks Gary.

Deren here, Dane is the other Oregon guy šŸ˜‚

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry!  My bad!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
All good, I get worse!

More pics:

Interior

Engine

Exterior

We are considering trying to start it. We will of course observe reasonable ā€œsitting for a whileā€ procedures. The Mum is confident it will be fine, my friend and I are a little more reserved.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That truck looks like it has the Ford 330 FT engine. The heavy duty version of the FE family 360/390 etc. Bill (Numberdummy) taught me a lot about the U-Haul differences.  

It also has a Ford Car/Van or early 1980/1982 F/series radio in it.

I'd check all the rubber hoses components, change the oil and gas, squirt some oil in the cylinders and all that good stuff.

After I got it running I'd check the brakes and the front end, and check all the safety things like lights and cab mounts etc...  

If I was selling it myself I'd also replace the lenses for the taillights, on the right side etc...  But that's just me...

Good looking truck, for being a U-Haul. Probably got tons of miles on it, but U-Haul usually kept their stuff up well.

Good Luck,
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Deren, a flatbed is useful where your located of course for ranches etc., but being a 2WD, itā€™ll be a harder sell.

If you get it running and driving good, list it for $4500 or $5000 and explain the situation the family is in.

This is of course my opinion, then drop accordingly if no interest.

Iā€™m selling my sonā€™s 1999 BMW 540i, no interest at all, but bad time of the year to sell it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thank you for the advice. I will chat with my friend tomorrow and show him this thread.

Very much appreciated, as always.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
What's the capability on the rear axle? Could this be turned into a custom flatbed car hauler?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

ā€œDot Doitallā€: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior